What's new

RJ45-inline coupler Recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rich N

New Around Here
I need to relocate my router. I know it's not the best way to extend a rj45 cable but I can't rerun a different longer cable. It is an rj45 5e cable and won't be exposed to any abuse. I need to extend the current one by 20 feet or so. My speed needs are under 1000mbps.

Any brand recommendations? Or a web link to one?
Thanks
Rich

I need to relocate my router. I know it's not the best way to extend a rj45 cable but I can't rerun a different longer cable. It is an rj45 5e cable and won't be exposed to any abuse. I need to extend the current one by 20 feet or so. My speed needs are under 1000mbps.

Thanks
Rich

Find one that maintains your cable rating, Cat5e or better. Now go shopping. :)

BTW, beware Ethernet surge suppression included in some power strips... some of them are not rated for Gigabit Ethernet.

OE

Last edited:

Thanks
Rich
In line connectors are not recommended at all. Yes, they may work but they will cause signal loss. You are better off using a small Ethernet switch. Does not have to be fancy or expensive.

In line connectors are not recommended at all. Yes, they may work but they will cause signal loss.

Is an Ethernet patch panel or wall jack an 'inline connector'?

OE

AAOTOKK RJ45 Cat6 Adapter Ethernet Cable Extender Cat6 Female to Female Inline Network Cable Coupler Cat6 Cat5 Cat5e Ethernet Coupler Adapter (Black-10Pack) https://a.co/d/bmIHtUm

I picked some of these for connecting a couple of 6 footers and they work fine. Cheap and easy.

cat5e punch down coupler. fan the pairs, like you would an inwall or patch panel, keep the slack out of the wires when you line it up and clip the overhang. don't forget 586b (or a) for both punch downs.

Edit: as long as it's solid core...

Pardon my lack of cable signal knowledge ... what makes a punch down press connector better than an inline connector?
I am just connecting the 2 cables (existing & new) together for a longer cable run along a floor joist.

A simple 1000gbps switch (nearby electric outlet) could be cheaper then going the punch press option (connector plus stripper tool plus punch tool).
Thanks for thoughts

Amazon appears out of stock (here at least) but have used UGreen Rj45 couplers that consistently meet the speed levels you suggest (high hundreds mbps).

Depends on setup and whether you'd get extra use from it but I'd argue that using a switch would be overkill. (More reliable quality given the powered nature but I'd say overkill)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!