What's new

Roaming-assist auto disconnect - not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hedonist222

New Around Here
I've set roaming assist to disconnect a client when signal is lower than -70. Right now it's connected and signal is -82.

It should've disconnected, right?

-82 is lower than -70.

r/ASUS - Roaming assist disconnect - not working
r/ASUS - Roaming assist disconnect - not working

Yes, more negative is a weaker signal.

If it did disconnect, what other AP do you want the client to reconnect to?

OE

Yes, more negative is a weaker signal.

If it did disconnect, what other AP do you want the client to reconnect to?

OE

I'v set it to -70.

When it reached -82, why did it no disconnect?

At -82, it was connecting to a router in the hall.

At the time, I was in my home office, near the hall. It should have connected to my home office AP when signal to hall router dropped below -70.

At the time, I was in my home office, near the hall. It should have connected to my home office AP when signal to hall router dropped below -70.

If you reboot the sticky client, does it reconnect to the weaker AP signal?

Maybe the sticky client does not like the office AP wireless settings/channel(?)

OE

Last edited:
I'v set it to -70.

It disconnects the client but does not prevent it from reconnecting, the client may see that as the best signal and reconnect. Do the logs show the client disassociating and reassociating?

If you reboot the sticky client, does it reconnect to the weaker AP signal?

Maybe the sticky client does not like the office AP wireless settings/channel(?)

OE
the sticky client 95% of the time disconnects from router and re-connected to home office.

It was just a few times that it did not.

It disconnects the client but does not prevent it from reconnecting, the client may see that as the best signal and reconnect. Do the logs show the client disassociating and reassociating?

where would the logs be? router or client?

if router, how can I find them now? there will probably be many more logs.

the sticky client 95% of the time disconnects from router and re-connected to home office.

If I understand then, it's basically working... the client is stubborn but roams on reboot... for 100% of the time, you may need to adjust AP Tx power (not likely) or separate the APs more. I have some sticky/dumb/simple 2.4 Wyze cams that cling to the router far away (because it comes up first)... I reboot them after any network reboots to make them 'roam'... they ignore Roaming Assistant which I don't use because it seems to disturb the mobile user experience more than help it with my clients/usage.

Maybe a minor adjustment in AP location(s) plus the client reboot will get you to 100% for now. And keep the network on a UPS to minimize network disruption.

General and Wireless Logs are in the router webUI.

OE

You need to be aware that roaming assistant just kicks off the client, it does not prevent it from reconnecting. In some cases if you don't have it tweaked right, this can result in constant client disconnect/reconnect. Roaming assistant is a bit of a "hack" to try and override client behavior, but it is far from perfect.

On devices that support it you can bump up their roaming aggressiveness, but typically stuff like cameras won't give you access to that feature of the chipset (if it even has it).

If you want it to always connect to a certain AP, enable a second SSID that is on that AP only, and manually connect to that. Of course if your camera system requires all cameras to be on the same SSID, that won't help (unless you want them to all connect to the same AP and none to connect to the main one).

If you have to have the same SSID across multiple APs then you start toying with placement, transmit power, roaming assistant thresholds, etc.