What's new

Roaming Assistant, AiMesh, and 802.11k and 802.11v

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
Miscellaneous AiMesh musings...

AiMesh notes: *AiMesh supports the 802.11k/v standard.

I wonder if this support is independent from using Roaming Assistant, which I believe was available before 802.11k/v support? My clients roam fine with RA disabled... and I think I would still want them to benefit from 802.11k/v.

Apple notes:

802.11k​

The 802.11k standard helps devices search quickly for nearby APs that are available as roaming targets by creating an optimized list of channels. When the signal strength of the current AP weakens, your device will scan for target APs from this list.

802.11v​

iOS, iPadOS, and macOS support these 802.11v functionalities on certain devices:
  • Basic Service Set (BSS) transition management
  • Disassociation Imminent
  • Directed Multicast Service (DMS)
  • BSS Max Idle Service
BSS transition management with Disassociation Imminent allows the network’s control layer to influence client roaming behavior by providing it the load information of nearby access points. The device takes this information into account when deciding among the possible roam targets.

DMS optimizes multicast traffic transmission on wireless networks. The device uses this information to enhance multicast communication and preserve device battery life.

The BSS Max Idle Service helps clients and access points efficiently decide how long to remain associated when no traffic is being transmitted. The device uses this information to preserve device battery life.

When you combine 802.11k and 802.11v’s ability to speed up the search for the best target AP with FT's faster AP association, apps can perform faster and you get a better Wi-Fi experience in iOS, iPadOS, and macOS.

I wonder if the BSS Max Idle Service could be responsible for some client associated/not associated logging users may see in the router Log (and worry about)?

OE

The primary roaming mechanics on AiMesh is still roaming assistant (roamast) and the way it works is pretty basic.

Roaming assistant (roamast) been around for ages where it will disassociate a client based on signal. And, when your device attempt to reconnect, it will
typically opt for the strongest signal.

While AiMesh do support 802.11k/v, they are very broken. While 802.11v is enabled, I have never seen AiMesh actually use 802.11v to steer clients. 802.11k link measurement is very rarely requested as well. However, not much consumer mesh WiFi OEM implement 802.11k/v/r properly so I wouldn't blame ASUS.

If you use smart connect, it gets even more complicated and nobody knows how 3 of them interact. Smart connect is an implementation by Broadcom rather than ASUS.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!