What's new

Roaming assistant

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdikland

Regular Contributor
I have never got this feature to work. Basically, I have 2 access points (AC68U) and 1 router (Ac86U) with same ssid but each with different channels (1,6,11). The Roaming Assistant is enabled on all with a switch over value of -70db. Well, I have wifi devices as low as -86DB and none ever switch to a AP closer by. In the case of the -86 device, I turned off the radio it was connected to and it then switched to an other AP and the RSSI shot up to -46db. Shutting off radio(s) is the only way I found I can "move" a device with a weak signal to another AP. Surely there must be a better way??

Merlin FW : 384.11

Last edited:
I have never got this feature to work. Basically, I have 2 access points (AC68U) and 1 router (Ac86U) with same ssid but each with different channels (1,6,11). The Roaming Assistant is enabled on all with a switch over value of -70db. Well, I have wifi devices as low as -86DB and none ever switch to a AP closer by. In the case of the -86 device, I turned off the radio it was connected to and it then switched to an other AP and the RSSI shot up to -46db. Shutting off radio(s) is the only way I found I can "move" a device with a weak signal to another AP. Surely there must be a better way??

Merlin FW : 384.11

You could try stock firmware, AiMesh (requires stock firmware), and separate SSIDs (68Us do not support Smart Connect node band steering). This will use the same channel across the mesh for each band. Maybe your clients will roam better... maybe much better.

OE