What's new

Roaming, hardware suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

demo999

Occasional Visitor
Hallo

I want to be able to roam seamlessly with laptops, mobile phones etc. at my home.

What hardware support a configuration something similar like below.
Router does not have to be included, but it has to be on same LAN.
I dont know if the correct name is AP, but the meaning is that it is a wireless connection device.

AP<--(wireless)-->AP<--(wired)-->Router<--(wired)-->AP<--(wireless)-->AP

You are going to be much better off if you use wire for all APs. Going from the far wireless AP to the other far wireless AP is going to be agonizingly slow.

Just to confirm, you'd be looking to run four total APs, two of which would need to be uplinked wirelessly (aka "mesh"), correct? If so, that's doable with a couple different types of products, but hard-wiring all APs into the network would be the utmost preference if you could somehow provision for it.

If you're a complete network novice, I would do the above with a whole-house consumer product called Eero, which is purpose-built for mesh toplogy and will seamlessly link all APs, plus provide router functionality and cutting-edge QoS (to keep all connections feeling fast for the end users). If your budget allows, I would run four Eero Pro tri-band units (a $499 3-pack + a $169 refurb). If that's too expensive, then four Eero dual-band units ($199 3-pack + $79 single).

If you're more skilled, then the most optimal way to do this would be a wire-first, controller-based AP product that supports wireless uplink (such as like TP-Link Omada or Ubiquiti UniFi) with a wired router (like a Ubiquiti ER-X, ER-12 or Netgate pfSense appliance). Wire-first APs, unlike whole-house mesh, allow different 2.4 and 5Ghz channels to be used on a per-AP basis, providing a lot more client bandwidth, airtime efficiency and a likelihood of even cleaner seamless roaming.

Not sure which approach you feel more comfortable with, but happy to expand on either if needed.

Just to confirm, you'd be looking to run four total APs, two of which would need to be uplinked wirelessly (aka "mesh"), correct? If so, that's doable with a couple different types of products, but hard-wiring all APs into the network would be the utmost preference if you could somehow provision for it.

If you're a complete network novice, I would do the above with a whole-house consumer product called Eero, which is purpose-built for mesh toplogy and will seamlessly link all APs, plus provide router functionality and cutting-edge QoS (to keep all connections feeling fast for the end users). If your budget allows, I would run four Eero Pro tri-band units (a $499 3-pack + a $169 refurb). If that's too expensive, then four Eero dual-band units ($199 3-pack + $79 single).

If you're more skilled, then the most optimal way to do this would be a wire-first, controller-based AP product that supports wireless uplink (such as like TP-Link Omada or Ubiquiti UniFi) with a wired router (like a Ubiquiti ER-X, ER-12 or Netgate pfSense appliance). Wire-first APs, unlike whole-house mesh, allow different 2.4 and 5Ghz channels to be used on a per-AP basis, providing a lot more client bandwidth, airtime efficiency and a likelihood of even cleaner seamless roaming.

Not sure which approach you feel more comfortable with, but happy to expand on either if needed.

Thank you very much for the reply and your suggestions.
I might return to you with some more questions.
Im leaning toward the eero solution with or without the Pro. ( might not need 4 units.)
The main reason I want to scrap my google wifi is because it doesnt support bridge+mesh same time.
( I dont know how many routers, and powerline adapters etc I have, just laying there because its just not stable or missing functionality. And now I can add google wifi to the pile)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!