What's new

ROBLOX causing reboot?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

giant25

Occasional Visitor
I have an RT-N66u running latest John's fork 30E2. My kids play ROBLOX and it seems to be causing my router to reboot whenever they play (If I keep them off ROBLOX the router is solid). I suspect that the router believes it is encountering a DDOS or port sweep type attempt, but my logs aren't persistent across reboots. I believe ROBLOX tries to hit various UDP ports during certain parts of the game. I wanted to reply to this thread below, but it was a bit dated:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac87u-keeps-locking-up.27283/page-4
Anyone have any idea why this would be occurring and what I can try to isolate this or even resolve the issue? Thanks.

I have an RT-N66u running latest John's fork 30E2. My kids play ROBLOX and it seems to be causing my router to reboot whenever they play (If I keep them off ROBLOX the router is solid). I suspect that the router believes it is encountering a DDOS or port sweep type attempt, but my logs aren't persistent across reboots. I believe ROBLOX tries to hit various UDP ports during certain parts of the game. I wanted to reply to this thread below, but it was a bit dated:
Anyone have any idea why this would be occurring and what I can try to isolate this or even resolve the issue? Thanks.
I am not sure about the issue you having. But have you try setting up a swap file to see if it help?

After swap file on, you may try switch the firewall log on for drop to see if there is any ddos going on during the game. Turn off once you are done with the debugging.

I don't think anyone has identified exactly what ROBLOX is doing that is causing the problem.

One thing I do know, is that the N66 doesn't have the horsepower to handle excessive syslog logging (I put a fix in the fork to handle GRC port scans with logging enabled if you set DDOS protection). So only suggestion is to make sure firewall packet logging is disabled as well as any addons that do a lot of logging.

My firewall settings are attached, other filter tabs are disabled, except IPv6 Firewall is Enabled. The Roblox machine is an Android tablet, so Wireshark might be trickier. Does syslog forwarding work well enough to capture something?
335c51543fb38b69f3a08e492a57cbef.jpg

Had this happen on 2 AC87u routers. Actually sent the router back the 1st time as I thought it was broken. It Would crash the router as soon as kids logged onto it and I had to power cycle it each time. Unfortunately I could never find out what was causing it, so just had to stop them from playing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had this happen on 2 AC87u routers. Actually sent the router back the 1st time as I thought it was broken. It Would crash the router as soon as kids logged onto it and I had to power cycle it each time. Unfortunately I could never find out what was causing it, so just had to stop them from playing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bummer, I was debating on buying an RT-AC86u, but maybe need to get to the bottom of this first.

I'll probably let the kids play some Roblox this weekend to see what's going on. What do you guys think is the best way to capture what's going on from their Android tab (not rooted)? Syslog to Splunk? Packet capture? Just not clear what what logging the router can handle. Thanks.

I'll probably let the kids play some Roblox this weekend to see what's going on. What do you guys think is the best way to capture what's going on from their Android tab (not rooted)? Syslog to Splunk? Packet capture? Just not clear what what logging the router can handle. Thanks.
I am wonder if u can use android emulator to play Roblox on pc. Then maybe you can use wireshark or any other packet capture tool to help see what is going on with them.

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-emulators-for-pc-655308/

I am wonder if u can use android emulator to play Roblox on pc. Then maybe you can use wireshark or any other packet capture tool to help see what is going on with them.

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-emulators-for-pc-655308/
That's a good thought. My concern there is that Roblox is pretty resource intensive and might not run well within an emulator. I was hoping moreso to log TCP and UDP port usage (moreso UDP since I believe is what Roblox uses) and see if the router is taking action somehow or buffer overflowing.

Surprised to read this. My son plays Roblox daily on his iPad and on a Windows 10 laptop, never had any network-related issues with it. Too bad your router has limited resources for logging, that sure would help to see what's actually happening. Have you tried @DonnyJohnny's suggestion to set up a swap file?

Surprised to read this. My son plays Roblox daily on his iPad and on a Windows 10 laptop, never had any network-related issues with it. Too bad your router has limited resources for logging, that sure would help to see what's actually happening. Have you tried @DonnyJohnny's suggestion to set up a swap file?
I haven't tried a swap file yet. I need to see if that will really help with FW logging and maybe try it out. Based on John's comments above, I'm not sure. I'm assuming I mount a USB drive and utilize this as swap but I'm not sure what that buys me in this scenario upon reboot unless I figure out how logs are stored on it. Thoughts?

Might be fun to think that an app like Roblox is a problem, I would be more worried about the host OS (Android).

Recent issue with Android is that a device may flood any AP, not just Asus, and basically run it out of memory...

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7634752

This probably answers a lot of recent issues that have been scattered about the forums - device insanity there...

Might be fun to think that an app like Roblox is a problem, I would be more worried about the host OS (Android).

Recent issue with Android is that a device may flood any AP, not just Asus, and basically run it out of memory...

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7634752

This probably answers a lot of recent issues that have been scattered about the forums - device insanity there...
Thanks for this link. In my case, there's 6 Android devices, 3 Apple devices, smart TVs, Echos, etc on my network. The router is stable 100% of the time...until Roblox is fired up. I'm talking stable for years. Now I just need to figure out why. If anyone knows an approach with the swap file to troubleshoot, I'd love to know.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!