What's new

Rockstor - an alternative to FreeNAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Heya,

Dunno if they just aren't very well known or I somehow missed that project, but I just found out about Rockstor, a Linux-based alternative to FreeNAS. Anyone has any thoughts about it? They seem to offer a lot of interesting features based on the info from their website:

http://rockstor.com/

Some nice bullet points:

• BTRFS
  • Snapshot support
  • NAS-to-NAS syncing, for disaster recovery (and, I assume, HW migration)
  • Docker-based plugins

Some still arent confident with BTRFS. I use it and it works well for me, doesnt have any of the problems people were complaining about when it was new.

NAS-NAS sync is a very good feature. Aerofs has become something else so being able to sync with another PC is great.

Rockstor looks like a good alternative to freeNAS for those wanting to build their own dedicated NAS. My NAS doesnt run such an OS as i need it to be able to do other things as well that both freeNAS and rockstor cant do which is GPU and openCL support, and running all the stuff a typical developer PC would such as distcc, gcc and so on.

If plex had openCL/GPU support that would be great though and so would these OSes too for media or other use.

Some still arent confident with BTRFS. I use it and it works well for me, doesnt have any of the problems people were complaining about when it was new.

NAS-NAS sync is a very good feature. Aerofs has become something else so being able to sync with another PC is great.

Rockstor looks like a good alternative to freeNAS for those wanting to build their own dedicated NAS. My NAS doesnt run such an OS as i need it to be able to do other things as well that both freeNAS and rockstor cant do which is GPU and openCL support, and running all the stuff a typical developer PC would such as distcc, gcc and so on.

If plex had openCL/GPU support that would be great though and so would these OSes too for media or other use.

Yeah, I tested btrfs about a year ago and while running fsck (or something similarly safe) I hit ctrl-c, which with most things it would have failed gracefully but it didn't. Irreparable file-system corruption.

It's neat, but I wouldn't want to use it in a NAS setup where stability is vital.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!