What's new

ROG-Rapture-GT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Completely different hardware from the RT-AC5300.

I don't know if I will support it.

Reviewing the GPL drop - big step forward (which is good), lots of changes (which isn't so good for the 3rd party community)

do you think asus will update the kernel to 4.1 on the previous arm devices

No. The kernel is dictated by the SDK. Broadcom doesn't upgrade the kernels used in their SDKs.

do you think asus will update the kernel to 4.1 on the previous arm devices

I wouldn't think so - at least not for the Wave 1 devices (aka 68U/87U/AC3200) as these are fairly baked in, and Asus is looking forward with the updated SoC/WiFi/Switch gubbins inside the GT-AC5300...

If they do another AC1900 class device, it'll likely be on the newer chips, and there, the SDK would be the same...

I don't know if I will support it.
Anymore thinking on this? Would be welcoming to see your touch on this one, being the most powerful yet. Would be a great one for your OpenVPN implementation and CPU affinity setting.

Last edited:
Anymore thinking on this? Would be welcoming to see your touch on this one, being the most powerful yet. Would be a great one for your OpenVPN implementation and CPU affinity setting.

At this time, I have no plan on supporting this device. Too many features/elements which are unique to this model (like the skinned webui), no backward compatible GPL either so supporting it would require a totally separate fork of the code, and roughly 2 months of dedicated work for this model alone.

At this time, I have no plan on supporting this device. Too many features/elements which are unique to this model (like the skinned webui), no backward compatible GPL either so supporting it would require a totally separate fork of the code, and roughly 2 months of dedicated work for this model alone.
Unfortunate, but understood. Perhaps if more future devices are based off the same platform then it may be worth the effort?

Unfortunate, but understood. Perhaps if more future devices are based off the same platform then it may be worth the effort?

The first and most important thing is, Asus will have to port all the models I currently support to the 382 codebase. Until that happens, I can't do anything with devices based on the 382 codebase. I don't have the time (nor the motivation) to deal with two separate codebases, and while I'd be open on dropping (or moving to a "deprecated" branch) the MIPS models, I have no intention to drop the SDK 6.37 (AC68) or SDK 7.114 (AC88/AC3100/AC5300) models, as these form the "core" of my user base. So these devices will need GPL 382 support for anything to happen on my end.

The recent move of important code to closed source components is making it even harder for me to do any kind of merge until Asus fully support each of these other models.

Considering the current state of things with the 382 code, I doubt that will happen in the coming months.

The default firmware is horrible so far if we could get someone to start working this router that would be swell. The new 9000 series router will still be 64bit and use similar ROG software

The first and most important thing is, Asus will have to port all the models I currently support to the 382 codebase. Until that happens, I can't do anything with devices based on the 382 codebase. I don't have the time (nor the motivation) to deal with two separate codebases, and while I'd be open on dropping (or moving to a "deprecated" branch) the MIPS models, I have no intention to drop the SDK 6.37 (AC68) or SDK 7.114 (AC88/AC3100/AC5300) models, as these form the "core" of my user base. So these devices will need GPL 382 support for anything to happen on my end.

The recent move of important code to closed source components is making it even harder for me to do any kind of merge until Asus fully support each of these other models.

Considering the current state of things with the 382 code, I doubt that will happen in the coming months.

Agreed - this should perhaps be a sticky...

well that sucks i wanted to get one when there avalable, and only if in futre you support it merlin, all the bugs ive been reading depress me, it seems asus needs to over haul the firmware badly, shame it doesnt have 4-8 gb ram, which would help if i wanted to plug in a big hdd with lots of media, sine the devices chaces the files.

shame it doesnt have 4-8 gb ram, which would help if i wanted to plug in a big hdd with lots of media, sine the devices chaces the files.

Get a real NAS for such uses.

Get a real NAS for such uses.
a nas nah one day mabye dont have the money to buy ome that id be into, i just the network drive to transfer steam backups from one pc to another

a nas nah one day mabye dont have the money to buy ome that id be into,

An entry-level NAS + an RT-AC68U is probably no more expensive than a GT-AC5300, and will give you better performance all around...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!