What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I may end upgrading to the ROG GT-AXE11000 not just for the newer and better wifi capabilities, but also because it has dedicated dual WAN ports that can utilize my Multigig Netgear CM1200 Cable Modem to its full potential without taking up a LAN port, and the 2.5Ghz LAN port is now fully dedicated for LAN use vs. the 2.5 hybrid WAN/LAN port on the GT-AX11000 that I currently own and the AXE11 still supports link aggregation. I could easily link it into my TP-Link 24 Port Managed Gigabit Switch for a complete Super Network and still use my GT-AX11000 in AiMesh. Decisions....Decisions....Decisions

Wow!
This is cool, but yet again asus has managed to find a way to make another overly priced router. Let us see if the initial lauch of the firmware actually supports the boasted 6E or if it is just to get the lights on the top of the router to look cool. I imagine it will make a really cool looking night light for the kids while we wait for the firmware (and clients) to fully support the features.

In 2030, this will be worthless. :)

To be serious, not even sure why I would need an AX router at this point...Not a gamer and most of our clients are on Ethernet so Gigabit....

Actually looking at it compared to the AX11000 internals, there is some overlap in hardware with the big difference being the chipset, and it is not revolutionary change, but more of an evolutionary change over the AX11000, and with that, the firmware should be on a more mature path. I am also thinking that Firmware 386 that all the big routers are moving too, will launch around same time, and I have played with that firmware to know, ASUS is working quickly to squash bugs and now stabilizing the code with little to no major changes. Seems like more people are also testing out the 386 firmware and actually reporting issues to ASUS. It has been awhile since ASUS had some good firmware for their routers, and this could be it along with a nicely planned Wireless 6E router launch.

Of course it is also always to have a good backup router. For me I have an ASUS RT-AC3100, and if I upgrade to the AXE11000, my AX11000 will become another backup and turned into an AiMesh Node in the long run. To each is their own though

To be serious, not even sure why I would need an AX router at this point...Not a gamer and most of our clients are on Ethernet so Gigabit....

Because you know you want it. It's worth the feeling of being "the first kid on your block" with Wifi 6E. Besides... That's reason enough. Not every decision we make has to be rational. I hope you get it right when it comes out and post all about so everyone else who is on the fence can make a decision. Even though I just upgraded to AX I might even get one of these new AXE routers just because it looks so cool. :p

Clients need to drive the market. There's an argument for 2.4G AX on IoT devices since wireless N is legitimately outdated, but the lack of actual AX connectivity is kinda lame. Most.. if not all of the recently announced smart home gear is still using AC/N receivers.

I think Amazon and Google for example are slowly easing into AX. I expect Google to counter Eero wifi 6 shortly.

6E is a valid replacement for AC wave 2, but it will likely take 2-3 years before things really start to move unfortunately.

Last edited:
AX standard is useless if most companies dont provide 160 Mhz channel width in entry level routers and phones/laptops.

AX standard is useless if most companies dont provide 160 Mhz channel width in entry level routers and phones/laptops.

I used to think the same, but I tend to disagree here.

5G AX has slightly higher possible PHY rates and better SNR over range with compatible AX hardware. A weak broadcast signal on AC mode (AX router/AC client) will perform significantly worse than the AX mode (AX router/AX client) at typical range. Obviously this will vary depending on device and actual hardware implementation between devices.. Example: A good AC router is better than a cheap AX router.

The problem with most entry AX devices isn't lack of 160mhz, but the lack of a good 4x4 radio as most are limited to 2x2 config and get destroyed by a higher end 4x4 AC wave 2 design in terms of coverage vs speed.

Other than that, the AX 5G standard is quite similar to AC Wave 2. The argument against 160mhz (both AC/AX) is that it only supports 1 or 2 blocks (depending on region) and 75% of that is DFS channels which can end up providing worse performance than a cleaner 80mhz block, but its a something that varies highly due to environment and configuration.

Logically, most 5G AX clients will only support 80mhz for the sake of consistency and auto channel selection. The new PS5 game console for example supports 80mhz max and I believe that's an intended limitation. I don't expect future IoT devices such as smart TV hubs like ROKU, Firestick, and Chromecast to push 160mhz either. It just doesn't make sense at this point.

This will mean the Intel AX200/201 is kinda like a black sheep and probably only exists for the sake of early adoption. 160mhz will likely end up being a thing heavily dedicated to 6E.

Edit: 2.4G AX is a significant upgrade over 2.4G N. Pretty much doubles or triples the potential bandwidth, but like I said in the above post, it lacks clients currently.. :(

tl;dr A good "high end" AC wave 2 router doesn't need an upgrade yet, but there is validity when it comes to AX routers. I think it really depends on price and whats offered.

I would buy a high end 4x4 AC wave 2 router over a 160mhz 2x2 AX router at the same price point.

Last edited:
Clients need to drive the market. There's an argument for 2.4G AX on IoT devices since wireless N is legitimately outdated, but the lack of actual AX connectivity is kinda lame. Most.. if not all of the recently announced smart home gear is still using AC/N receivers.

I think Amazon and Google for example are slowly easing into AX. I expect Google to counter Eero wifi 6 shortly.

6E is a valid replacement for AC wave 2, but it will likely take 2-3 years before things really start to move unfortunately.
I have moved on from the slower outdated N and AC routers and replaced all my wireless routers with AX. Since AX/Wifi 6 has already been out for a while we are starting to see more devices supporting it. For example the new PS5 game console supports Wifi 6 which will be great for lower latency and higher throughput wireless online gaming. The first use of 6E will probably be for router to router communication within the same location, AiMesh, etc.. but more stand alone AXE/6Edevices will be on board by 2022. There is 6/6E wave 2 technology with UL MU-MIMO (uplink multiuser multiple-input multiple-output) being developed for release in 2022 and Wifi 7/802.11be (with 4096-QAM and a proposed 30Gbps speed) is being developed for release in 2024.

For most Wifi users I see AX/Wifi 6 as being the most logical upgrade over the next two years since we know it will have a broad range device support with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The tri-band support with Wifi 6E, 6Ew2 and 7 will likely take much longer and be more expensive to implement in client devices due to the extra required 6Ghz band radio hardware.

Last edited:
I have moved on from the slower outdated N and AC routers and replaced all my wireless routers with AX. Since AX/Wifi 6 has already been out for a while we are starting to see more devices supporting it. For example the new PS5 game console supports Wifi 6 which will be great for lower latency and higher throughput wireless online gaming. The first use of 6E will probably be for router to router communication within the same location, AiMesh, etc.. but more stand alone AXE/6Edevices will be on board by 2022. There is 6/6E wave 2 technology with UL MU-MIMO (uplink multiuser multiple-input multiple-output) being developed for release in 2022 and Wifi 7/802.11be (with newer technologies such as 4096-QAM and a proposed 30Gbps speed) is being developed for release in 2024.

For most Wifi users I see AX/Wifi 6 as being the most logical upgrade over the next two years since we know it will have a broad range device support with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The tri-band support with Wifi 6E, 6Ew2 and 7 will likely take much longer and be more expensive to implement in devices due to the extra required 6Ghz band radio hardware.

I covered all this in my above post. Yes the PS5 supports AX, but its also limited to 80mhz and I'm sure this is intended (I don't think theres latency benefits here?). I don't see IoT devices and smart TV hubs being any different a year or two down the road when theres a switch. Companies favor compatibility and DFS is a no go.

160mhz 5G is just too finicky for practical use, but I respect intel for releasing both AC and AX clients capable of lower latency bandwidth from the spec.

I think this argument really evolves around price points and what can be achieved within a budget. I would disagree that AX/160mhz is a clear cut superior solution as this really depends on the device and clients themselves. For example... Most entry 2x2 AX routers fall off hard relative to the higher end 4x4 AC routers in terms of performance at range.

Thats not saying that your AX86U isnt a good value.. because it is... But I'd argue against the notion that similar performance (80-90%) cant be achieved elsewhere at a better price point. It just depends.

AX is valid upgrade/sidegrade, but pricing has to make sense. 4x4 AC routers can be had for half the price.

I covered all this in my above post. Yes the PS5 supports AX, but its also limited to 80mhz and I'm sure this is intended (I don't think theres latency benefits here?). I don't see IoT devices and smart TV hubs being any different a year or two down the road when theres a switch. Companies favor compatibility and DFS is a no go.

160mhz 5G is just too finicky for practical use, but I respect intel for releasing both AC and AX clients capable of lower latency bandwidth from the spec.

I think this argument really evolves around price points and what can be achieved within a budget. I would disagree that AX/160mhz is a clear cut superior solution as this really depends on the device and clients themselves. For example... Most entry 2x2 AX routers fall off hard relative to the higher end 4x4 AC routers in terms of performance at range.

Thats not saying that your AX86U isnt a good value.. because it is... But I'd argue against the notion that similar performance (80-90%) cant be achieved elsewhere at a better price point. It just depends.

AX is valid upgrade/sidegrade, but pricing has to make sense. 4x4 AC routers can be had for half the price.
You make some good points. Except I can't agree with wasting money on an AC router right now unless you are clearly looking for a budget solution. Those older Wifi technologies will be obsoleted over the next five years. Since I like to update my hardware every four to five years by the time I am ready to upgrade to Wifi 6Ew2 or 7 there will be many more Wifi 6 clients available. I will be able to wait longer before choosing the next generation upgrade. This saves me money by giving me time to wait for the cost effective next gen options in the long run.

Last edited:
You make some good points. Except I can't agree with wasting money on an AC router right now unless you are clearly looking for a budget solution. Those older Wifi technologies will be obsoleted over the next five years. Since I like to update my hardware every four to five years by the time I am ready to upgrade to Wifi 6Ew2 or 7 there will be many more Wifi 6 clients available. I will be able to wait longer before choosing the next generation upgrade. This saves me money by giving me time to wait for the cost effective next gen options in the long run.

I'd generally agree but my argument is that not all AX and AC devices are created equal and can be fairly similar or trade off. Just depends.

Late edit:
If you're coming from a 3x3 Wave 1 AC router, it makes no sense not to upgrade to a 4x4 AX if your budget allows.

A high end wave 2 router can be very competitive though from my personal testing. This is where I would argue price points and antenna configurations. A 2x2 AX router can be a downgrade.

Last edited:
I'd generally agree but my argument is that not all AX and AC devices are created equal and can be fairly similar or trade off. Just depends.

Late edit:
If you're coming from a 3x3 Wave 1 AC router, it makes no sense not to upgrade to a 4x4 AX if your budget allows.

A high end wave 2 router can be very competitive though from my personal testing. This is where I would argue price points and antenna configurations. A 2x2 AX router can be a downgrade.

Agree. :)

...making sure you have the footprint space for the 4 x 4 router you want.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!