What's new

Roomba feedback

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AntonK

Very Senior Member
A matter of personal preference. Personally I do, for the following reasons:

1) I want to ensure that my "fast" devices stay on the 5 GHz band no matter what, with only slower devices (currently just my Roomba) on the 2.4 GHz band
2) I don't trust every device manufacturers to make the right decision in choosing which band to connect to

It's all Asus's code.
Since you mention the Roomba, can you give us a review? Reviewing sites are notoriously bogus, while you can be trusted! I know it's way off topic, but the Roomba may effectively perform a service that has plagued Man (or at least his wives) for eternity!

Thanks,
Anton

Most reviews are pretty straight forward. Given what it is it's not hard to predict were it has short falls. If you have a small non cluttered apt works good. If you have pets stay away. If you have a lot of furniture or clutter dont bother Ect. Just common since really. Its just a small robot vacume what could go wrong right. o_O:eek:

Since you mention the Roomba, can you give us a review? Reviewing sites are notoriously bogus, while you can be trusted! I know it's way off topic, but the Roomba may effectively perform a service that has plagued Man (or at least his wife's) for eternity!

I'm probably not the best person to do so, as I don't have it setup to run regularly (like you normally would). I generally launch it right before I leave the house, so it can take care of my kitchen while I'm away. I'm quite sensitive to noise, so I appreciate being able to have it clean things while I'm out.

I only have a 870, which is a fairly "dumb" model (it doesn't do any mapping, unlike the newer 900 or i-series). So, it just blindly bumps into things until it decides it had enough, and moves back to its base station. It gets the job done for me, and since it's easier to launch it than to get out the vacuum cleaner from the laundry room, it means I tend to run it more often than when I was manually vacuuming.

I'd say if you can afford it, it's certainly a time-saver, especially if you are lazy like me. I recommend going for a mid or high-end model tho if you can afford it. You will keep it for many years, and the newer 900/i series are certainly better than the 800 series (Wifi-enabled) or the cheaper 600-series (which might not be as efficient at cleaning up). Older models had slightly weaker suction, and they often use brushes that might require a lot of manual maintenance if you have pets or someone like me who loses his hair.

If the randomness of Roomba annoys you, check out some of their competitors, which are often smarter, but may also not be as efficient at cleaning. It's also very easy to find Roomba accessories (I go with third party accessories, which are a fraction of the cost of the original Roomba ones). Be warned however that some devices cannot work in the dark, while others do. So if you want one to clean up the basement at night, make sure it can work in the dark.

And don't expect one Roomba to take care of your whole house, unless you want to see it wandering around for 60-90 minutes at a time. Personally I fence it off to remain in the kitchen, and manually move it to other rooms when I want to clean these. My average-sized kitchen takes between 20 and 40 minutes, depending on the random factor, or how much dirt there is. Some people get a high-end model to cover their main rooms, and get a cheaper model to handle the basement where there might not be as much cleanup required.

Note that the Roomba mobile software is a bit quirky. I have never been able to make it register on my phone using the regular procedure - I have to reset the Roomba in the middle of the process for it to be seen by my phone, and finally added. I'm also unable to add it to a second device (like my tablet) due to this discovery issue. I have no idea how their discovery process works, but since it's the only thing failing at discovery on my LAN, I put it on account of just poor software.

If you have pets stay away.

It depends. A lot of pet owners actually love Roombas because their rubber rollers are very easy to clean, while removing hairs from brush rollers can be a major pain.

I have Roomba i7 and it works great for me. It maps out my house and I can tell it which rooms to clean. I hard code an IP address on my Roomba. I bought a smaller Roomba but it would not clean my whole house. It cleaned great but my house was too big. iRobot told me I would need to buy a second base and manually carry my Roomba back and forth so I bought the i7. The i7 works on either 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz. I only had the Roomba 690 for about a week. I would have kept it if my house was smaller.

I have 2 Cisco WAP581 wireless APs setup as a single point and both Roomba's ran fine. My house stays clean. I clean some rooms more than others. If I try to clean my whole house it takes 5 or 6 hours which is too long for me to listen to the vacuum. They do not work well in the dark. You need to leave a light on. I run both bands on 2 SSIDs both guest and LAN. I run my Roomba on my guest SSID and it can chose 5 or 2.4 GHz. My guest SSID spans both Cisco wireless APs with roaming.

PS
Correction my first Roomba was a 960 not 690.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!