1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

route all traffic through VPN

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Jeffrey, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Around Here

Hello,

I want to access one of my home devices with a LAN connection from my cell when I am outside. I tried using my Asus RT-AC88U's original firmware's openssl and ipsec VPN to connect home and access it but it doesn't go through my VPN network, it goes through my phone's internet.

I see that the Asuswrt Merlin firmware's VPN settings allows all traffic to be routed through VPN, can someone please tell me if this would mean I can access my home device like I am at home in a LAN network?

Thanks very much in advance.

bobpow likes this.
  2. Marin

Marin Very Senior Member

Deleted

3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

I assume you meant to say OpenVPN not openssl?

The OpenVPN server works the same way in Merlin's firmware as it does in the original. If it's not working for you then you haven't configured it correctly.

4. CaptainSTX

CaptainSTX Part of the Furniture

One thing I discovered when setting up my AC1900P is that the VPN server for me was unreachable if the remote device had a VPN client running. Apparently the settings from the double VPNs conflict.

If you have a VPN client running on your remote device turn it off then try and connect. If you are testing from home using a phone turn of the WiFi connection and use your cell connection and be sure that any VPN client running on the phone is off.

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Around Here

Sorry I do mean OpenVPN

I thought there were further settings with the Asuswrt Merlin firmware... maybe I need to look into configuring it properly

Thanks CaptainSTX also, but I am not on wifi, I am able to connect to the Open VPN, just cannot access my home device like on LAN

6. Klueless

Klueless Very Senior Member

While using "Open VPN" is the right mistake it can be a little persnickety if you try to use a "name" to access a device. Try using the device's IP address instead?

Or try using PPTP (the other VPN) instead. I found it much simpler and it's already pre-installed in many client devices.

7. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Around Here

Hi Guys, so I think my openvpn is setup to route all traffics through the VPN now, when i access different sites, I confirm i am using the VPN's internet address, but when i access my home device.. it is still connecting me like as if i am from outside..

8. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Are you talking about the router's VPN client or VPN server?

You're going to have to explain exactly what you mean by this.