Router AC-86U keeps dropping internet connection

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

D-Smoke

New Around Here
Hi all!
I have a problem that is driving me nuts! My RT AC-86U keeps dropping the internet connection. I've connected another router (not ASUS brand) to see if it's a problem with my internet provider but no issues there - so to me it's something with the router.

I've updated to the latest Firmware (3.0.0.4.386_41634) and also done a factory reset but still the same problem.

Attached is a short system log from this morning when it went down at about 07:00.

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

Jeffrey Young

From the logs, you are getting the "ISP not functioning properly" error. This one does drive folks nuts.

I don't use stock firmware, but I believe ASUS has an option in the WAN setup page called "DHCP Query Frequency". Set this to "Continuous mode". This has resolved this error for a lot of folks.

D-Smoke

New Around Here
Thanks for the tip! I'll try that and see if it works. Fingers crossed!
BTW, someone suggested me to change to the Merlin FW. Do you think that could solve it too?

Jeffrey Young

If the current stock firmware does not have the "Continuous mode" option, then yes going with Merlin would be an option as I have it on my AC86U.

I'm not really sure if Merlin has done any changes to the WAN code, or if he can (many parts of the ASUS code are closed source, so Merlin can't do anything with them anyway).

My take is - if what you got works - don't mess with it. Check out Merlin's notes on his Wiki and see if there are scripts / things that Merlin can do but the stock can't. If you see something that might benefit you, then go for it.

D-Smoke

New Around Here
After testing to set DHCP Query Frequency to "Continuous mode, it seems the problem still persists. The internet connection is still lost occasionally :(

I've attached a log from when it happened most recently (so far 2nd time today).

Any other ides? Perhaps try the Merlin FW?

Attachments

Jeffrey Young

D-Smoke

New Around Here
Hi!
The QoS was disabled so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Yesterday I installed Merlin FW (384.19) and at first it seemed to work flawless. However this morning it was really weird. In the admin interface the internet status stated "Connected", but in fact it seemed disconnected. At least I couldn't open any web page at all. Previously in the stock FW it at least said "Disconnected".

So still looking for answers here guys. Could it be a HW issue? I've been thinking since the router is relatively new it shouldn't be, but who knows...

Any help is appreciated!

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
Hi!
The QoS was disabled so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Yesterday I installed Merlin FW (384.19) and at first it seemed to work flawless. However this morning it was really weird. In the admin interface the internet status stated "Connected", but in fact it seemed disconnected. At least I couldn't open any web page at all. Previously in the stock FW it at least said "Disconnected".

So still looking for answers here guys. Could it be a HW issue? I've been thinking since the router is relatively new it shouldn't be, but who knows...

Any help is appreciated!
Generally speaking, it should work with any firmware.

It could be a hardware issue. Before my AC86U died, I endured a few weeks of a random browser issue not able to resolve URLs. Then it died.

You could try a different WAN cable... maybe the cat bit into it.

If the router was working and now is not working, you might 'feel' its a hardware issue and set it aside.

OE