What's new

Router + AP, or 2x APs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus Router + TP-Link AP or 2x TP-Link APs?

• Router + AP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AP + AP

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ikefu

New Around Here
Hey all,

Question: If you wanted to expand to a mesh network using APs would you use your existing router plus one AP or would you buy two APs and turn off the router?

I have a TP-Link EAP225 V3 coming in the mail and am wondering if I should buy a second AP and turn off the radios on my current Asus router? Is sharing an SSID and doing device handoff significantly better with two of the same APs vs a router and AP of different brands?

For background, we recently built and moved in to a house that I had wired for Cat6 Ethernet. I have an ASUS RT-AC3200 on the main floor that mostly covers the house but has problems at the far edges and also seems to be having 2.4Ghz connection issues despite me trying every possible setting. This has happened with several devices over time but came to a head when our Arlo Q we use for a baby monitor started dropping off the network at night. The 5Ghz networks are just a bit two weak in the babies room to use those instead.

Thanks!

Since you have cat 6 everywhere, just reposition the router and the AP until you get needed coverage.