What's new

Router app parental control help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think kids are a lot better at computers than we ever will be. My granddaughter wants to spend all her time on the computer.

Why not just pick a good DNS which meets your needs and lock it in the router and don’t allow any exceptions. If you need to use a different DNS just use an iPhone through cell service.

Five years or so there was a lot of DNS hacking going on. My DNS was hacked to a China DNS server so they could track me and gather information. If I would have had my router locked to one DNS the hack would have never worked. So for a weekend they gathered information until I discovered it. I now never run without locking my DNS server access on the router. I think my server was hacked using java and the DNS setting on my DHCP server were changed on Microsoft Server 2003. I also only run java when I have to. I install it and then uninstall when I am finished.

Last edited:
I always use 4.2.2.2 with 8.8.8.8 as backup. Both are old, solid DNS. The former may be one of the first big ones on the 'net.

A little off topic b/c I'm not directly addressing parental controls here, but with all this DNS talk its worth mentioning that security/Internet/data recovery savant Steve Gibson has several nice free tools http://bit.ly/17iJw9A available on his GRC.com site to test & compare the speed and some security factors too.

Last edited:
For every lock there's a locksmith

Private joker seems you're as paranoic as I
I also have a similar setup on my house doors as well as 16 camera system around the house and a separete up camera system inside lol
And looking into adding a safe type door to my basement with deadbolt locks on all four sides of the door but havent had luck finding a door like that I might have to create one my self .

Private joker seems you're as paranoic as I
I also have a similar setup on my house doors as well as 16 camera system around the house and a separete up camera system inside lol
And looking into adding a safe type door to my basement with deadbolt locks on all four sides of the door but havent had luck finding a door like that I might have to create one my self .

I would like to hear about your camera system/s and your physical security brainstorming, I poked around and am not sure where the best sub-forums on here would be to have such convos!

I would like to hear about your camera system/s and your physical security brainstorming, I poked around and am not sure where the best sub-forums on here would be to have such convos!

Well for the outside 16 cameras there are qsee bundle system I purchase from Costco for 599 on sale it's a 700tv line system with full d1 recording on all 16 channels at 30fps per channel connected to the Internet for remote viewing
The inside system is an ip system composed of 4 geovision done cameras connected to a pc for recording they cover front , back door downstairs livingroom and inside garage they're full 1080p and 2 of them have full 360 view. Does are one in the garage and the second one in the livingroom.
As far as the doors go they're just normal outside doors with reinforced frames similar to you're setup but I have being thinking about a diferent solution but haven't find some one that can build it for me

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!