What's new

Solved Router Attached USB Flash Drive accessible to Roku Media Player?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wallace_n_Gromit

The last time my Roku devices(s) were updated was June 06, 2020. While scrolling through the menu on my Roku, yesterday, I noticed a menu item (never noticed it before) called [Roku Media Player]. Out of curiosity, I clicked on it.

after clicking several times, deeper into the menu items, I didn't expect to see that my Asus RT-AC68U was identified as a "Media Server" and the attached USB drive I use/formatted for my amtm-related scripts and directories were available for view and perhaps modification/manipulation.

I would have thought that the Formatted USB drive would be treated with the same security as the actual router (user name, password etc), since, I would imagine that this might be used as a back door into the router internals?

Is there a way to disable/secure the attached USB drive from access outside of a secure SSH session?

I believe the router's Media Server is turned on by default. If you don't want to share your media files on the LAN turn it off.

I believe the router's Media Server is turned on by default. If you don't want to share your media files on the LAN turn it off.

Took me a little while to find the right location.

Asuswrt-Merlin General Menu Item:
USB Application/Servers Center/Media Server/Media Server/Enable UPnP Media Server was ON. I did turn it off, and applied the setting.

Went back to my Roku(s), and didn't see the router as a "Media Server" anymore. Thank you, Colin.

Never used it as such, seems to be a bit of a potential security hole if you have malware on LAN side, or Malware resident on your browser session. Can the contents of the USB drive with amtm, be manipulated in any way that could be used to bypass SSH, router security to gain access to the router settings?

Last edited:
Can the contents of the USB drive with amtm, be manipulated in any way that could be used to bypass SSH, router security to gain access to the router settings?
No, it's a DLNA server. As such it's only streaming media that it understands (e.g. mp3, mkv, etc.). It's also read-only as far as the client is concerned.

Last edited:
@ColinTaylor, Just another thought...

Looking further into the USB Application Tab I see that: /Servers Center/Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk/Enable Share is ON also.

I only use the USB flash drive formatted with 2Gb partition to support amtm and additional scripts. Do I need the "(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk" to be enabled also (or will disabling it break some other feature)?

Last edited:
If you don't have any reason to be sharing your USB drive you can turn off everything under USB Application > Servers Center.

Check the state of USB Application > Time Machine. IIRC that should be off by default anyway.

Last edited:
If you don't have any reason to be sharing your USB drive you can turn off everything under USB Application > Servers Center.

Check the state of USB Application > Time Machine. IIRC that should be off by default anyway.

Time Machine was OFF. Now everything under the USB Application TAB is OFF. Nothing looks broken... Thanx again.

Took me a little while to find the right location.

Asuswrt-Merlin General Menu Item:
USB Application/Servers Center/Media Server/Media Server/Enable UPnP Media Server was ON. I did turn it off, and applied the setting.

Went back to my Roku(s), and didn't see the router as a "Media Server" anymore. Thank you, Colin.

Never used it as such, seems to be a bit of a potential security hole if you have malware on LAN side, or Malware resident on your browser session. Can the contents of the USB drive with amtm, be manipulated in any way that could be used to bypass SSH, router security to gain access to the router settings?
I would never have found it if you didn't post the path :) I've never been to that settings panel before, and mine was OFF, so I'm guessing that off is the default setting, at least on my router's version of Merlin.

I would never have found it if you didn't post the path :) I've never been to that settings panel before, and mine was OFF, so I'm guessing that off is the default setting, at least on my router's version of Merlin.

I went Menu item by Menu item trying to find it. I'd never been to that settings panel either. I did post the path to be helpful to others. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!