What's new

Router Basic Security Sticky/Tutorial

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anotherengineer

I noticed there are next to nothing for stickies/tutorials in the security section. Also a lot of this is beyond the avg user.

I was wondering if it's possible to add one, something basic for the avg user.

As in, no scripts, add-ons etc.

Basic as in, easy and quick to do by anyone, and ONLY from stock router gui and/or in PC settings, and won't break anything, or (minimal affects)
-router name and password should changed and be at least xxx long..............
-maybe change basic log-on IP?.............
-set DNS to one of the following...............
-disable WPS, or xxx or etc..............
-enable this, this, this, etc...............
-maybe a blurb on DoT (if not too advanced)................
-maybe a small blurp on ipv4, ipv6, WPA2/WPA3, vpns (software vs hardware etc.).................

I don't know, just something. All I do know is there a ton of info, most of it is beyond me, and I don't have the time to learn, understand and implement it all.

Thanks

I noticed there are next to nothing for stickies/tutorials in the security section. Also a lot of this is beyond the avg user.

I was wondering if it's possible to add one, something basic for the avg user.

As in, no scripts, add-ons etc.

Basic as in, easy and quick to do by anyone, and ONLY from stock router gui and/or in PC settings, and won't break anything, or (minimal affects)
-router name and password should changed and be at least xxx long..............
-maybe change basic log-on IP?.............
-set DNS to one of the following...............
-disable WPS, or xxx or etc..............
-enable this, this, this, etc...............
-maybe a blurb on DoT (if not too advanced)................
-maybe a small blurp on ipv4, ipv6, WPA2/WPA3, vpns (software vs hardware etc.).................

I don't know, just something. All I do know is there a ton of info, most of it is beyond me, and I don't have the time to learn, understand and implement it all.

Thanks

FWIW, my install notes flag * Security-related considerations... notes, not a tutorial, in 10,000 characters or less... basic enough and better than nothing, imo.

OE

Last edited:

I'm so sorry. There is nothing you can do for Vulnerability Attack. None of them works for it.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!