What's new

Router becomes unresponsive after a day

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

timonoj

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys!

I've been having no trouble with my AC68U for years...I'm currently running Merlin v384.9. And after several hours running, I slowly start losing my connection, and not even the page for the router loads. I need to completely power it off with the power button and start it up. What can I troubleshoot? I don't see any weird process running right now.

Thanks!

Attachments

• router_htop.jpeg
    router_htop.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 301
Years? When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP?

Btw, that jpg image is too small to read.

Have you checked the syslog for anything unusual?

I'd probably start monitoring memory usage to see if there's a memory leak from some process that eventually exhausts available memory.

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't see anything very obvious on the syslog. And htop now shows a normal memory usage, idling for the last 8 hours at 111-115MB. Yesterday before it died I could see it was at around 250MB, which is really scratching the limits, even if it has swap file. So...I'll keep checking. So far it has crashed a couple of times like this.

Hi guys!

I've been having no trouble with my AC68U for years...I'm currently running Merlin v384.9. And after several hours running, I slowly start losing my connection, and not even the page for the router loads. I need to completely power it off with the power button and start it up. What can I troubleshoot? I don't see any weird process running right now.

Thanks!
Rollback to v384.8, factory firmware, or whatever! More important to stay up than experiment with new.

Rollback to v384.8, factory firmware, or whatever! More important to stay up than experiment with new.

That would be the last thing to do. After exhausting other options in post 2. ;)

If you are using the DLNA server, you might have some corrupt files being scanned and hanging up the router.

Hi guys!

Thanks!
Also, to paraphrase Jim Salter(#1 router expert), you're relying on firmware curated by one person, who is named after a mythological character!

Also, to paraphrase Jim Salter(#1 router expert), you're relying on firmware curated by one person, who is named after a mythological character!

That is the second time in 2 days you have trolled that statement on this site.

If you have an anti Merlin agenda just say so but don't go giving crap advice to people to make their router less secure.

That is the second time in 2 days you have trolled that statement on this site.

If you have an anti Merlin agenda just say so but don't go giving crap advice to people to make their router less secure.
You don’t suppose they think RMerlin is Eric’s real name, do you?

Last edited:
Ok...Sorry for the bother. Seems I can't replicate the issue, just as it came it went. Two hang ups in as many days, and now it's 48h running stable with a normal RAM consumption...I'd leave it be for now, I'll update if there's any further issues to troubleshoot.

Thanks for the help guys!

Ok...Sorry for the bother. Seems I can't replicate the issue, just as it came it went. Two hang ups in as many days, and now it's 48h running stable with a normal RAM consumption...I'd leave it be for now, I'll update if there's any further issues to troubleshoot.

It’s quantum physics: the act of observation changes the outcome. Good luck!

Could simply be power fluctuations.