What's new

Router Choice for aiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djsgrant

New Around Here
I currently use a RT-AC86U as my main router. I have now acquired a set of three AX DX4’s.

Question for me is do I use the minis as nodes and leave the 86U as the router or do I use the WiFi 6 AX as the router? The old router may only be WiFi 5 but it seems to be a superior and more controllable unit???

My network technical skill is very much beginner.

Cheers. May I ask why? Not seen that as a suggestion before.
Tech9 does not like or trust AiMesh or other Asus features.

The AC86U should work well in AiMesh but it has not had a firmware upgrade in a while and could develop problems.

May I ask why?

On a second thought - run XD4 set only. This way you can see faster if it works for you or not. AC86U as main router is better hardware and has Asuswrt-Merlin support for more features, but it has issues of its own. AiMesh works better wired and with all the same routers.

Tech9 does not like or trust AiMesh

XD4 is a basic dual-band set with slow CPU, 256MB RAM and 2x2 radios. Expected wireless AiMesh performance is not great. I would say 400Mbps to devices connected to nodes in a good day and with nodes placed in right locations. It doesn't have 388 firmware available yet.