What's new

Router/config advice needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gibbs

New Around Here
Hi,

I have an ASUS RT-AC3200. Currently I have 1 ISP that provided me with a modem/router that I asked them to set to bridged mode. The WAN config on the RT-AC3200 is set to automatic and everything works perfectly. Only changed the DNS settings as this ISP has had some DNS issues in the past that caused webbrowsing issues.

In the near future a fiber optic internet connection will be made available in my area and I have applied for one. Now this ISP gave me 2 options. Use their Fritz!box 5490 or use my own hardware. I have looked into this Fritz!box, but it doesn't seem like you can set this to bridged mode and have the RT-AC3200 automatically pick up the connection. Either with or without the Fritz!box, my router needs some configuration:
- Request DHCP over VLAN 34
- Default route over VLAN34
I am not sure how to configure this as I will not use IPTV as suggested in this post: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/vlan-on-the-wan-port-of-rt-ac3200.34922/

Maybe someone can help clear things up on these settings. Do I still configure the VLANs here, even though I do not use TV from this ISP?

To make it a bit more complicated. I would like to start using a dual WAN configuration (hopefully 2020). The router seem to support this. I do not yet have a lot of information from the secondary WAN provider. Only thing I know is they will deliver a box, you connect a cable to it and you will have internet access. If this is the case it should be as simple as enabling Dual WAN and connect it to LAN Port 2.

But if I have custom settings for my fiber optic, would this still work?

Thanks in advance for any advice and info!