What's new

Router crashes when using SSHD w/ Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JackJackJack

New Around Here
I am a ASUS / Merlin noob, so I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I just purchased an RT-AC66R. I read about Merlin Firmware and decided to give it a whirl. Things are looking good, but I do see a fatal error when I try to login via SSH. Here are the steps I took:

-- Unboxed router and flashed updated ASUS firmware
-- Configured network, guest network, etc.
-- Flashed Merlin "3.0.0.4.374.42_0"
-- Enabled SSH access.
-- Using PuTTy, connect via SSH, enter login ID and password
-- BOOM! Router reboots.

Any ideas? Do I need to factory reset and try again?

Thanks!

See settings here:

7kwjc09.png

Try a factory default reset, configure only the basics (WAN + SSH) and try again. If it still reboots with just those basic settings, then it sounds like a defective router.

I reset to factory default and setup only WAN and SSH. It still reboots after I enter my user/pass over SSH. Do you really think this is an issue with the router? Not software related?

Should I return it? If i just decide to just use telnet to access, would that be OK? Or would you think this is something that might cause other issues down the roadl? Any logs to look for? Any other ideas?

Seems very strange to me.

Get rid of it and get another one...it's definitely not right. It's going to show other warts down the road.

I reset to factory default and setup only WAN and SSH. It still reboots after I enter my user/pass over SSH. Do you really think this is an issue with the router? Not software related?

Should I return it? If i just decide to just use telnet to access, would that be OK? Or would you think this is something that might cause other issues down the roadl? Any logs to look for? Any other ideas?

Seems very strange to me.

If something as basic as an SSH login causes a reboot then I suspect a hardware failure. I wouldn't chance it, and have the router replaced. Just tell them it will randomly reboot itself within a few minutes after doing even a very basic configuration (which is really what happened with that last test you did).

If something as basic as an SSH login causes a reboot then I suspect a hardware failure. I wouldn't chance it, and have the router replaced. Just tell them it will randomly reboot itself within a few minutes after doing even a very basic configuration (which is really what happened with that last test you did).

OK, thanks for the advice, and the custom FW. I'm really liking the router/fw so far, I hope the next one doesn't crash on me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!