What's new

Router external access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

woldert

New Around Here
I have an Asus RT-AC66U router with the latest 380.65 Asuswrt-Merlin FW installed. I want to use VPN server functionality of the router.
I configured OpenVPN server as documented here https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1008713. I also installed OpenVPN client on a W7 and on an XP computer.
The problem is that I can only establish VPN connection with the router if my PCs within the LAN (connected to the router's Wifi). If I connect my PCs to the Internet over my mobile phone's shared mobilnet (simulating that the PC is external) I cannot establish VPN connection and the VPN client gives 'Inactivity timeout, ping-restart' message.

I made a try with PPTP and I had the same result: it works inside and it doesn't work from outside (in this case the error is VPN 678 There is no answer).

I went further so I enabled ping, SSH, Web admin access. All of them work internal and I get timeout external.

It seems that I cannot reach my router externally (I use DDNS, nslookup works). I already switched off the firewall of the PCs but it didn't help.

Do you have any idea?

Thank you in advance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!