1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Router firewall

Discussion in 'General Network Security' started by unclebuk, May 26, 2019.

1. unclebuk

unclebuk Regular Contributor

Hello,

Question: the firewall is enabled on my AC86U by default...But, do I need this enabled if if have no filter rules?
    "Enable the firewall to protect your local area network against attacks from hackers. The firewall filters the incoming and outgoing packets based on the filter rules"

Strangely enough, I cannot find much direction on this setting from online searches.

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,\buk

2. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

Yes, you want to leave this enabled.

Unless you are putting your RT-AC86U behind your own firewall, (or possibly in a double Nat setup) then the firewall is an essential part of having a router to do exactly as it says. Even with no extra filter rules enabled or applied.

3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

4. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

The firewall has its own rules integrated, they're not only user-defined. Running the firewall is pretty much mandatory, except for some very highly specialized scenarios.

5. dosborne

dosborne Regular Contributor

It should *almost* not even be an option to disable it :)

6. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

I have yet to run into any scenario where you would want to disable it. The few cases where I use a second router within a LAN to isolate a part of the network, I still need that firewall to actually isolate that network. And larger organizations in need of a plain router between two segments don't buy a typical home gateway but an actual real router.

7. coxhaus

coxhaus Part of the Furniture

The small Cisco routers have a gateway and router mode so you don't have to run the firewall.