What's new

Router for 46 m^2 apartment, capable of utilizing 1000 Mb/s connection. AX58U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cysio528

New Around Here
Hello everyone,
I'm looking for advice, I need router to cover my whole 46 square meters apartment. My ISP provides 1000 Mb/s connection and I would like to utilize it completly. Devices I'm planning to connect: PC thorugh LAN, 2 laptops through Wifi, android tv, two mobile phones.
I was thinking about AX58U, it costs around 130 euro in my country, but I've seen that AX68U is pretty popular aswell. They are basically the same price, which one will be better? Also there's AX86U, but it's twice as expensive as aforementioned two.
Could you provide any advice on this topic?

Thanks in advance

To set your expectations:
Will your modem have multi-gig ports? If it's only gigabit ports, the link from your router to the modem will be bottlenecked at 940 Mbps. (edit: realistically, how often will you actually use the full connection in normal use)

Other questions for more information:
- Will you just be using the router as is? Or, will it be doing other things such as VPN?
- Do you need access to DFS channels? If channels 36-48 and 149-161 are crowded in your area, using the DFS channels might be a good idea. However, If you're near an airport or a weather radar, you might lose access to the DFS channels.

Welcome to the forums @cysio528.

To fully utilize that 1Gbps connection, wirelessly, will depend on your client devices (more) than on the AX router you choose.

Are all your client devices AX or AXE?

The RT-AX68U is superior to the much weaker RT-AX58U. Given that, the RT-AX86U may be the only one that will give the 1Gbps connection you are aiming for.

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

RT-AX86U vs. RT-AX88U

Thanks for the links.
Mobile phones have AX (s21 and iP 13 pro), not sure about andoird tv and laptops, but I'm mostly aiming for highest speed on my PC and on others I want to have solid, stable wifi connection, where extreme speeds aren't as important. I care more about having good/high speeds across all wifi devices than extreme speed on only one if that's important.

To set your expectations:
Will your modem have multi-gig ports? If it's only gigabit ports, the link from your router to the modem will be bottlenecked at 940 Mbps. (edit: realistically, how often will you actually use the full connection in normal use)

Other questions for more information:
- Will you just be using the router as is? Or, will it be doing other things such as VPN?
- Do you need access to DFS channels? If channels 36-48 and 149-161 are crowded in your area, using the DFS channels might be a good idea. However, If you're near an airport or a weather radar, you might lose access to the DFS channels.
I'll check the modem, because I'm not sure which model is it.

Right now I'm not using VPN, or if I do it's on device level, not whole network, but I guess it could be nice feature.
DFS channels could be usefull aswell.

Both the RT-AX68U and the RT-AX86U offer stable and reliable service.

I'm not sure if the RT-AX68U can handle your Gbps speeds (is that symmetrical, up/down?).

At this point, I would buy both, deploy the RT-AX68U and if it proves insufficient, return it after testing for an improvement with the RT-AX86U.

I'll check the modem, because I'm not sure which model is it.

Modem only or modem/router? You may not need to buy another router for 46m2 place. Some of the ISP provided routers have pretty good Wi-Fi. If you don't need extra features, you may not need to spend extra money. You have total of 6 devices after all.

Both the RT-AX68U and the RT-AX86U offer stable and reliable service.

I'm not sure if the RT-AX68U can handle your Gbps speeds (is that symmetrical, up/down?).

At this point, I would buy both, deploy the RT-AX68U and if it proves insufficient, return it after testing for an improvement with the RT-AX86U.
not symetrical unfortunatelly, 1000/100. I think I do as you suggest and get RT-AX68U first.

Modem only or modem/router? You may not need to buy another router for 46m2 place. Some of the ISP provided routers have pretty good Wi-Fi. If you don't need extra features, you may not need to spend extra money. You have total of 6 devices after all.

Modem only, that's why I'm looking for router.

Modem only, that's why I'm looking for router.

Any AC Wave 2 or AX router. Your PC is wired and will get full speed. AC Wave 2 to common 2-stream client close to the router is ~500Mbps, your laptops. Your phones don't need anything more than 100Mbps. Android TV will work with 50Mbps. A router for 50 euro will give you the same Internet experience as router for 250 euro. You'll be paying for extra router features only.