What's new

Router for ExpressVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

icchis

New Around Here
Hi All. I have an Asus RT-AC66U at the moment but I'm not happy with it because of the very low speed with ExpressVPN.
I'm thinking about buying a new router and my choices are: Asus RT-AC86U or Linksys WRT1900 ACS.

I have a simple 50mbps connection at home and I just want to be able to watch Netflix and some streaming sometimes. What router should I get? Thank you

As far as I'm aware, ExpressVPN doesn't make a firmware for the 86U (they only have one for the much older 87U, which has a completely different architecture, so it definitely won't work). That being said, I would probably lean towards Linksys for this use-case. The WRT1900ACS at 1.6Ghz should be able to max out your 50Mb/s connection over VPN no problem. The WRT3200ACM also has ExpressVPN firmware and would give you 10-15% more CPU clock and a second 5Ghz radio for about $30-35 more. You probably wouldn't realize much benefit for VPN, but it would give you a bit more flexibility for wireless, should you desire it.

Best of luck!

Have you considered that if you buy an AC86 it gives you the option to run a single VPN client right out of the box.

Often all you have to do to run the VPN client on the router is download an OVPN file from your VPN provider and then upload it onto your router. Depending on ExpressVPN is setup you may need to add your user name and password. Plenty of support on this site to help you get a VPN client running if you should need it.

If you choose to upgrade to Merlin's customized version of the ASUS firmware you have many more options with the VPN clients. The one option which you might find useful is policy based routing which allows you to route clients using their IP either to the WAN or VPN tunnel. The processor on the AC86 is powerful enough with its AES-NI functionality to handle VPN downloads at greater than 200 Mbps. If you don't think you will ever need this speed you could also consider an ASUS 1900P which has 1400 Mhz processor and will give you VPN download speeds of 50 Mbps.

Merlin's firmware has many other added features as well is takes a good router and makes it great.

If you do buy an AC86 be sure to buy a new one and not a used/refurbished one as some of the units produced in 2018 have issues.

Have you considered that if you buy an AC86 it gives you the option to run a single VPN client right out of the box.

Often all you have to do to run the VPN client on the router is download an OVPN file from your VPN provider and then upload it onto your router. Depending on ExpressVPN is setup you may need to add your user name and password. Plenty of support on this site to help you get a VPN client running if you should need it.

If you choose to upgrade to Merlin's customized version of the ASUS firmware you have many more options with the VPN clients. The one option which you might find useful is policy based routing which allows you to route clients using their IP either to the WAN or VPN tunnel. The processor on the AC86 is powerful enough with its AES-NI functionality to handle VPN downloads at greater than 200 Mbps. If you don't think you will ever need this speed you could also consider an ASUS 1900P which has 1400 Mhz processor and will give you VPN download speeds of 50 Mbps.

Merlin's firmware has many other added features as well is takes a good router and makes it great.

If you do buy an AC86 be sure to buy a new one and not a used/refurbished one as some of the units produced in 2018 have issues.

Thanks, I'll go with the AC86 then. How can I check if it's a new or old model?

Thanks, I'll go with the AC86 then. How can I check if it's a new or old model?

On the sticker on the back of the router it says year manufactured in plain language no codes to decipher. They also are listed as being made in Vietnam. The 2018 routers were labeled as being made in China.

Just be sure to make your purchase from an outlet with a no hassle return policy in case you have issues with the router.

On the sticker on the back of the router it says year manufactured in plain language no codes to decipher. They also are listed as being made in Vietnam. The 2018 routers were labeled as being made in China.

Just be sure to make your purchase from an outlet with a no hassle return policy in case you have issues with the router.

Thank you, I've bought it from Amazon so I shouldn't have problem return it

Hi All. I have an Asus RT-AC66U at the moment but I'm not happy with it because of the very low speed with ExpressVPN.
I'm thinking about buying a new router and my choices are: Asus RT-AC86U or Linksys WRT1900 ACS.

I have a simple 50mbps connection at home and I just want to be able to watch Netflix and some streaming sometimes. What router should I get? Thank you
You should /could use express VPNs DNS proxy server instead I swapped over to it months ago and for the same reason streaming us Netflix and amazon ect from Australia and I get 46 MPS on a 50 MPS plan .I only wish I had known about it earlier.If you do decide to give it a burl set up a DDNS and hostname so you don't need to worry about a changing IP address.Express VPN have an arrangement with dynu services so it's free

Is it better to use the Express VPN firmware or setting up VPN manually on the Asus firmware itself?
I have a second router (68u) which is manually set to connect to Exp. VPN servers. Since in my region OpenVPN settings dont work, I'm stuck with L2TP connections. I'm on a 500Mbps line, but speeds through the VPN router is 3-5Mbps max depending on the server i connect to. Tried various settings but doesnt help.

Is it better to use the Express VPN firmware or setting up VPN manually on the Asus firmware itself?
I have a second router (68u) which is manually set to connect to Exp. VPN servers. Since in my region OpenVPN settings dont work, I'm stuck with L2TP connections. I'm on a 500Mbps line, but speeds through the VPN router is 3-5Mbps max depending on the server i connect to. Tried various settings but doesnt help.

In your situation I would use the expressvpn firmware. I'm doing it on my 66u and it works

You should /could use express VPNs DNS proxy server instead I swapped over to it months ago and for the same reason streaming us Netflix and amazon ect from Australia and I get 46 MPS on a 50 MPS plan .I only wish I had known about it earlier.If you do decide to give it a burl set up a DDNS and hostname so you don't need to worry about a changing IP address.Express VPN have an arrangement with dynu services so it's free

Could you please post some screenshot of your configuration? Thanks

Could you please post some screenshot of your configuration? Thanks
its not a VPN if you go to your express VPN account on the left click on,, media streamer,, you will then see an option for full instructions on how to set up the media streamer . It is really very simple it will give you the two DNS addresses then take you to dynu systems to set up a ddns and hostname . There is no additional charge its all part of your express VPNs account . If you need any help click on the live chat link and they will walk you through it. I set the media streamer months ago and have never looked back super fast eg 46 MBS on a 50 MBS plan and have never had a problem streaming US Netflix Hulu and amazon from Australia unlike using a VPN where you get the dreaded message <we have detected you may be using a VPN or proxy please turn it off and try again,, at which point you need to log into your router and change locations to get around their block ps once you get to set up media streamer click on manual router setup then follow the instructions

Last edited:
From the first tests, with default configuration I got 40-50 Mbps so I'm very satisfied. Thanks everyone. It's a model made in China