What's new

Router for gaming and lots of streaming/DLing - 2 story house

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Into The West

New Around Here
Hello SNB community! My research into routers has led me to this wonderful community. What I'm looking for is a router that can adequately service a 2 story home of ~2500 sqft (walls are drywall, I believe). Gaming is mostly done on a wired connection, but occasionally done on WiFi. Want a router that can handle lots of traffic (I'm guessing there's about 20 devices total) with simultaneous downloading and streaming. Also, just purchased a Samsung 4K TV, so will need to get that up and running as well. ATM I'm considering these options, and while they all have favorable reviews and seem to be solid choices, I'd like to hear from your experiences with these products.

Nighthawk x4 R7500v2 ($139 new- seems to pale in comparison to the 7800 below)
Nighthawk x4S R7800 ($130 refurbished - seems to be a popular choice, but how safe is refurb?)
T-mobile ASUS AC1900 ($60 refurb, $76 "new" - Heard it's same as RT-AC68U, and can be unlocked (?)
D-link DIR 878/882 ($80/$100 new - Didn't know about this one until I came upon this site, seems to be great performance for the price)
TP-Link Archer C2300 ($110 new - Not sure how this compares to the C9, which is the same price. Heard that TP-link is not reliable as ASUS/Netgear, is this true?)
Linksys AC 1900 EA7500 ($110 new - Heard this one mentioned a few times)

Also, read about these enterprise-grade routers and AP (Edgerouter x + UniFi AP Pro), but would prefer to go with consumer routers unless you can thoroughly convince me otherwise. Thanks for the advice!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!