What's new

Router introduces ~1% packet loss in sustained overnight ping test

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dan Dascalescu

Occasional Visitor
TL;DR: I recently bought my first "prosumer" router, an ASUS RT-AC68U, and set it up in repeater mode in front of my phone hotspot (Google Pixel on Verizon, unlimited data). Suspecting some Play-Fi speakers might drop audio due to the router, and wanting to eliminate the router as the cause, I ran an overnight ping test, which showed that the router introduces 0.7% to 1% of packet loss. Is this normal?

Test details:
  • ping to 8.8.8.8 from two laptops simultaneously
  • 8 hours overnight (~1am - ~9am), two nights in a row
  • closed apps to make sure no active connections were going on beyond what the OS might do
  • laptops placed ~3ft from the router with no obstructions
  • Night 1: ping from MacBook Pro laptop connected directly to the hostpot, so MBP -> hotspot -> 8.8.8.8: 0.3% packet loss. It's an LTE link (~-105dB), so I guess that's normal.
  • Night 1: ping from Ubuntu laptop connected to the router's 5GHz AP, so Ubuntu -> router -> hotspot -> 8.8.8.8. 1% packet loss
    Ping from Ubuntu via router via hotspot 1% packet loss when via hotspot had 0.3% packet loss.png
  • swapped the connections but kept everything else constant, including the location of the laptops
  • Night 2: Ubuntu -> hotspot -> 8.8.8.8: 1% packet loss
  • Night 2: MBP -> router -> hotspot -> 8.8.8.8: 2% packet loss
    Ping 8.8.8.8 from MBP via router via hotstpot 2% packet loss when MBP via hotspot has 1% loss.png
So putting the AC68U as a repeater between my laptops and the hotspot added between 0.7% and 1% packet loss, with no obstacles in the radio path. Is this acceptable? Am I overlooking something? The router was flashed with Merlin, which made it impossible to connect to the APs, so I flashed back the latest official firmware.

You should probably test completely internally rather than pinging an external host. You should also try to isolate the pings between 2 devices connected to the AP.

You might try to run tcpdump and see what is happening when your Play-Fi speakers glitch.

What protocol does your Play-Fi speakers use? If it's TCP (which a quick Googling seems to say it is), intermittent, minimal packet loss shouldn't cause a problem.

I'd agree with @Nullity that pinging another host on the LAN would be a more meaningful test. I would suspect any issues you have are more likely to be with the mobile phone or mobile network side of things. A 1% or 2% packet loss across a mobile network doesn't sound unreasonable given that ICMP packets are low priority and designed to be dropped in preference to other packets.

BTW, personally I wouldn't call the RT-AC68U a "prosumer" device. To my mind it's definitely a "consumer" unit, but the term is ambiguous.

You setup the Asus in repeater mode? Then yes, the additional packet loss seems very reasonable. You have a total of three wireless connections in play now.
1.) Client --> Asus
2.) Asus --> Phone/Hotspot
3.) Phone/Hotspot --> Verizon

Adding in the 2nd WiFi hop should be expected to have some loss/latency added.

Also, I though when in repeater mode it wasn't routing anymore? I have never used repeater mode, so not sure. I have only used it in Router, AP, and Media Bridge mode.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!