What's new

Router LED Lights turn off on AC-86U with 386.1_beta3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ASadani

Hi All, On my new router AT-AC86U, the main router's LED goes off but the router is still alive. I'm on 386.1_beta3. To turn on the lights, I have to start the app on my iPhone, and turn off the LED and then turn them back on again. Has anyone noticed such an issue? This has happened three times so far. The Node which is a Chinese router is just fine in the bedroom and is stable.

I have changed my setup. I've made the primary router the node and the node the primary router. The same router still continues to have the same issue of LED going off even when it's a node. The Chinese router's LED is working just fine.

I have updated the node to the factory firmware and the LED lights are stable, so I believe it may be a bug 3.0.0.4.386_40451-g30f1b6c

There are other two bugs I've identified. If you change the language to English on the Chinese router, one of the menu items is still in Chinese. Its the http://10.10.10.1/UUAccelerator.asp http://10.10.10.1/UUAccelerator.aspz

网易 UU 加速器​

The Second issue I see is that for the astrill applet, its blank and I have to perform a Control refresh for the page to load correctly.

So In total these are the bugs.
1. High CPU temp
2. Chinese menu (one of them) on the Chinese version of the router
3. LED Lights going off
4. VPN Applet does not open the page on first go.

Model: RT-AC86U

Last edited:
There are other two bugs I've identified. If you change the language to English on the Chinese router, one of the menu items is still in Chinese.

Not a bug, it's simply not translated. That page is only available on routers with a Chinese region code, that's why.

Make sure you get the latest version of their applet. They recently fixed a compatibility issue that affected people also using another addon at the same time as their plugin.

For the LEDs, just make sure they aren't disabled on the System page.

Make sure you get the latest version of their applet. They recently fixed a compatibility issue that affected people also using another addon at the same time as their plugin.

For the LEDs, just make sure they aren't disabled on the System page.
1. For the LEDs I believe the router is defective hardware wise. I changed the firmware to factory and made the router a node and the leds started working just fine for about two hours only to go back off again. The led settings is on. I can toggle it to off and then to on and the led would start up again. I’ve ordered another one on amazon and it will arrive in about 15 days so I’ll test the new one. I’ve installed about 20 of these units and this is the first of the defective ones I’ve seen.
2. As for the applet since it’s a new setup, the applet version must be new. The issue is so small and does not hinder anything to we can ignore it for now imo.

Thanks a lot for your help.

1. For the LEDs I believe the router is defective hardware wise. I changed the firmware to factory and made the router a node and the leds started working just fine for about two hours only to go back off again. The led settings is on. I can toggle it to off and then to on and the led would start up again. I’ve ordered another one on amazon and it will arrive in about 15 days so I’ll test the new one. I’ve installed about 20 of these units and this is the first of the defective ones I’ve seen.

There is a button to toggle the LEDs on the router. Make sure it's not stuck, and that you don't have something pressing on it.

There is a button to toggle the LEDs on the router. Make sure it's not stuck, and that you don't have something pressing on it.

The Toggle button is clicky and is not blocked. When the Lights are off. The toggle button will not bring the lights back up. The only way to get the LED's working again is to either reboot the router or through the Asus app by turning the LED off on the toggle and then back on. This is surely a defective unit. Wireless and node management works perfectly fine with no coverage issues.

At first, I thought it would be the beta firmware bug. I then switched the units. Node to the master router and master to the Node. The Chinese version is the master now and the problem persisted. I then replaced the defective unit's firmware which is now a node to factory firmware on the Asus site and the problem still persisted on the same unit.

Question: Can you pair different region's routers together making them nodes? I believe mine worked because the china version has a region changeability and that may make it work with the US version. However, I have friends who are on either the Asia version of the 86U or the US Version. We can buy the Asia version locally in the UAE but that has now become pricy due to price gauging here. However, if there are any issues with the Router, then the warranty is easily serviceable here.

Last edited:
Can you pair different region's routers together making them nodes?

No idea. But you normally should not have different regions, you are supposed to only have devices set to your region.