What's new

Router/Modem Suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bbgarnett

Occasional Visitor
So our old neighbor is looking to rid of his high bill/fees from Comcast and has asked me to come over and get things straightened out. He has Comcast for internet/TV/Phone and he has already decided on making the phone switch to OOMA as he's bought the Telo. I have had ooma for over 8 years and haven't had any issues and you only pay for taxes and fees like E911 so my brother probably mentioned that to him and he was all for that. Anyways I will be going over there next week and am most likely going to see that he is renting equipment from Comcast and or has older equipment and so will be looking for recommendations on what to get him or tell him to purchase. He is also looking to drop TV and go with a streaming TV service and actually wants to dump Comcast completely and move to century link which I am not sure if that's the best option and would hopefully be able to get him to keep at least just internet with Comcast. Anyways he is a single guy and probably doesn't need a whole lot maybe 75-100 MBPS on internet for browsing and then whatever streaming service he chooses such as sling/Vue/ YouTube TV etc etc.

Anyways what would you recommend for him a router and possibly modem. I would prefer to stay under $100 on the router and I have no issues flashing custom firmware but I know that since we don't live by him anymore that updating firmware on the router probably isn't going to happen unless I were to make the trip over there and do it for him. I know some routers allow for remote servicing or whatever such as the google Onhub but I don't want to go that route if I don't have to.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Also my local Walmart is showing this router on clearance for $40

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078216T6C/?tag=snbforums-20

and so if I can find it, would it be a good pickup. I know it'd be like way overkill for anything he needs but if I can get it for $40 why not?

Last edited:
My recommendation for a budget setup would be the NETGEAR-CM500 modem ($63) and the ASUS RT-AC66U B1 router ($95). The B1 is important as the non B1 66U is a completely different router.

Thanks for the reply.

Also if I can get that Linksys WRT32XB that my local Walmart is showing for $40 should I go with that over the Asus or is Linksys not really that good anymore.

Thanks,

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!