What's new

Router Not Detecting When The Internet Is Disconnected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sharpbarb

Occasional Visitor
RT-AX88U 368.2_4

My internet has dropped a handful of times in the last couple weeks (not typical). This is particularly problematic with my wife and I WFH.

When it disconnects and I log into the router the Internet Status show "Connected", but wired or wireless clients can't reach the internet. Also unusual, my phone or PC don't show an exclamation mark on the network icon that usually indicates there's no internet.

When I look at the log, there isn't anything unusual going on. When I try to ping locations from within the router Network tools, nothing is reachable. It's like the router doesn't have any idea that it can't connect to the internet. This seems to resolve after rebooting the router a couple times.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

I think if you search the forums you'll find this is a known issue. It was certainly happening on the RT-AX92U , everything is connected but the routing simply stops at random times.

My 92U's are just access points now as I can't trust them.

My internet has dropped a handful of times in the last couple weeks (not typical).
This sounds like an ISP issue then.

When it disconnects and I log into the router the Internet Status show "Connected", but wired or wireless clients can't reach the internet.
So the problem would appear to be something upstream of your router in the ISP's network.

Contact your ISP and log it as a fault. If you have a modem connected to your router look for errors in its logs.

In the meantime check the setting of Administration > System > Network Monitoring. Enabling that, if it's not already, may save you having to manually reboot.

Last edited:
This sounds like an ISP issue then.

Sounds like but is not ISP.

When the 92U's came out there were many complaints of this here but my units worked perfectly. Later it became a real problem for me as random drops would happen but the modem log clearly shows a perfect connection without any connection loss.

Simple proof was to swap to a different router and the issue was gone. Reconnect the ASUS AX unit and random fault returns. Reboots/resets/new firmware made no difference , works fine for a while then nobody can use the internet, it just stops working.

It drove us mad here and I gave up with the ASUS units as routers . Since using the Turris Omnia there has never been any issue.

I know this has come up for other AX units before.

Contact your ISP a log it as a fault. If you have a modem connected to your router look for errors in its logs.

I completely forgot about checking the modem logs. Thanks for pointing that out. The log is currently a mess since I rebooted and disconnected it multiple times, but that's the first thing I'll check next time this happens.

In the meantime check the setting of Administration > System > Network Monitoring. Enabling that, if it's not already, may save you having to manually reboot.
Another thing I didn't know was a thing. I'll look into that setting, but how would it avoid a restart?

It drove us mad here and I gave up with the ASUS units as routers . Since using the Turris Omnia there has never been any issue.
I may have to start looking into alternatives. I actually bought this router at the very beginning of the apocalypse when we started WFH. I thought spending $300 would get me a well behaved router, but so far I haven't been very impressed.

Another thing I didn't know was a thing. I'll look into that setting, but how would it avoid a restart?
If this is an ISP issue that resolves itself after a short period of time this would automatically restart the WAN interface saving you the bother of having to reboot the router manually.

Updating the firmware will fix this but you have to perform a hard reset after you complete the firmware upgrade. A hard reset will clear the NVRAM.

I had the same issue with my AX92u's and this fixed it.