What's new

Router options with PoE and decent interface

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wordfool

New Around Here
I’m considering going down the router + AP path and wondering what I should consider router-wise from the likes of Ubiquiti (USG, Edgerouter), MikroTik, TP Link, Zyxel, etc. Some things I’m looking for:

- price as close to $100 as possible (I still have to factor in an AP or two)
- relatively future proof and able to deliver decent speed even with some analytics turned on (I currently have 200mbps internet but am going to increase that in the near future to 500ish)
- a decent interface that is navigable by someone with some tech knowledge but by no means that of a network engineer (So no CLI type stuff or pfSense box suggestions). I’ve used the Unifi controller before and like it so that’s my baseline.
- At least four gigabit ports, ideally with at least one having PoE for an AP since where I’ll have the router/AP is currently power outlet constrained.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated. I’m particularly curious how the Edgerouter’s OS and Mikrotik’s routerOS compare to the Unifi Controller solution.

Last edited:
I think the cheapest is the Cisco RV260P which costs more than your limit. It also does not do a full gig internet only about 900 meg. Use an injector.

I think the cheapest is the Cisco RV260P which costs more than your limit. It also does not do a full gig internet only about 900 meg. Use an injector.
For active PoE, correct. For passive PoE, the Mikrotik HeX PoE (RB960PGS) plus a $20-30 48V AC adapter would fit the OP's budget.

@wordfool - That being said, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. As I said, the HeX PoE only offers passive PoE in Mode B, which means no automatic power negotiation (ie. if you plug in a non-PoE device to eth2-eth5 and PoE is enabled on the port, you would likely damage that device). Additionally, PoE-integrated routers are a rare breed and IMHO you shouldn't let that requirement alone constrain you, as it will severely limit your choices. Instead, simply use a PoE injector, or if you really want finer-grained control over the PoE application, go with a low-cost managed PoE switch. For example, a $60 Ubiquiti ER-X or Mikrotik HeX plus a $59 TP-Link TL-SG108PE would be only $19 more than your budget, but way more flexible, standards-compliant and give you half again as many switch ports.