What's new

Router outdoor install?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

usspeedup2

New Around Here
Hi

I have an asus N66U router. I would like it to install outsters in a plastic bottle so no rain touch the router

Temperatures are winter up to -30 C
Summer up to 35C in shadow

Will the router work on these temperatures? Especially during the winter

Thanks

No. Strictly an indoor pet.

I have installed several wifi extenders in sky sales cars, they come in a waterproof box with the external cables drilled through with silicon sealant to stop water getting in. This is due to the cars having the boot open during the day. So long as the routers on 24/7 it should offset the cold and keep on working, it may even work better ignoring the specified operating temps.

Good point about them keeping warm if they're always on.

But, what are sky sales cars?

i once leeched of a business what must have been 1500ft away or so, by using a router in wireless bridge mode and cutting a tiny hole in tupperware, sticking the router and ac adapter in and mounting it to a tree with a long (must have been nearly 200ft) dark green extension cable and a UTP cat5 cable run out to it. worked quite well in all (floridian) weather. xD

had to force wifi B and sometimes setup CMD to constantly ping the AP with 1byte packets

Last edited:
As far as i know, the working temperatures are from 0 C to 40 C. But what will happen if the temperature goes below 0C ? Any tests or ideas?
Usually it should work because the selfheating system will warm the router.

But if it doesn't warm it faster than it is being cooled? It will be drowned in condensation, no?

the heat the n66u kicks out, and couple that with a sealed weatherproof box (containing a few bags of silica gel) and you will not have an issue.

Youre right i just looked for enclosures and found this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DOF83V6/?tag=snbforums-20

Not sure about the condensation, i was thinking about this too.
But i think this can work.

I have the latest original asus firmware and at 80mw it is not hot. Its a bit warm. Maybe at 200mw will be warm enough?

Now the problem is when summer starts to blow up the heat. An i better start thinking about an enclosure with an opened bottom?

I have the latest original asus firmware and at 80mw it is not hot. Its a bit warm. Maybe at 200mw will be warm enough?

lol dont do that. i know this is probably apples to oranges, but i've seen people do thinks like sink motherboards into non conducting fluids and running 24/7 under liquid nitro. if the device wont stay alive at 80mw and stock clocks, i doubt there's anything you can do that'll make a difference. if i had to guess, what might happen is that connections on the board might become really brittle and potentially easier to break from rapid temperature changes, etc.

That enclosure does not look like a good idea to me.

Does the RT-N66U even fit (with antenna)?

I think simply mounting it inside with external antenna leads outdoors is a better way?

An external antenna is a pretty good idea indeed. Is there some good external antenas ? I need a directional one. But i dont like the asus directional antenna