What's new

Router Purchase 15+ connections advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bluray

New Around Here
Hi, Long time lurker on this forum

I have a Linksys E4200 for some years that serve me well but its getting slow with so many devices.

2,4ghz band is failing i suspect its a harware issue.
5ghz Band its ok but has short range in the apartment
I also have a switch from Netgear GS308-100UKS connected/next to the E4200

By Ethernet CAT6
Synology DS412+ link aggregation, but its not priority
Anthem MRX
Cable Box
Satelite box
Oppo 103D
Nvidia Shield
Mede8er 1000x3d
Wetek core 4K
Apple tv3

By Wireless Dual band 2.4 & 5ghz
Macbook air 2.4 & 5 ghz (802.11a/b/g/n/ac )
Macbook air 2.4 & 5 ghz (802.11a/b/g/n )
Iphone 6 2.4 & 5 ghz ( 802.11a/b/g/n/ac )
Iphone 5 2.4 & 5ghz (802.11a/b/g/n )
Ipad 2 2.4 & 5 ghz (802.11a/b/g/n)
Hub Harmony 2.4ghz (802.11a/b/g/n
TV oled 2.4 & 5 ghz (802.11a/b/g/n)

The router localization its not the best available... its the only possible, due all cable routing.

Looking a router for:
Good range in 2.4 ghz.
Range coverage of 2,4ghz at least 13 meters (42 feet) end-to-end with 3 walls in between.
I might use the E4200 has AP in middle of the house to extend the 5GHZ band.

from the web:
The Linksys E4200 doesn't exactly have an "access point" mode but you can get it to behave like an access point. To do so, get access to its web menu and turn off the E4200's DHCP server. Then assign the E4200 an IP address in the same range as your LAN. Finally, connect one of the blue "Ethernet" ports on your E4200 to your LAN.

Im looking for something that can serve well for the next 3 or 4 years, and since the linksys was my expensive router purchase at the time (160€) i think its worth to give 150€ to 300€ for some years of trouble free.

Asus AC5300 - seems expensive
Asus RT- AC88U - like this one due 8 x ethernet ports
D-link DIR-890 - seems good price/performance
Open to alternatives.

If you're primarily looking to replace and/or augment your 2.4Ghz bandwidth, perhaps with better routing as a bonus, then I'd look to separate routing from wifi and use a "core" router (wired or wireless) connected to multiple APs. If wifi still needs more range anywhere or more bandwidth for a certain clients, you can just upgrade/add APs in modular fashion, without worrying about having to scrap your whole network config each and every time you re-do your all-in-one device.

This also may fit your idea of re-purposing the 4200 as just an access point (if the settings allow for that, which I would assume they do...). Just something to mull over, at least. :)

Just about any AC1900 class router/AP is going to make things a bit better than what you have at the moment...

Thanks for the reply guys
There was a change of events.

I forget that i had a functional and old TP-link WA901N access point , i configurate in Repeater Mode and i manage to improve the 2.4ghz band.
My future Router purchase still valid but at the moment is not urgent has before.
Im might wait for a cheap deal in the following months.