What's new

Router reboots when i turn off switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pergola Fabio

HI, running 384.12 merlin on a rt-86u
i have attached a unmanaged switch dlink, 24 port
when i poweroff the the swich, by unpluggin the power cable, the router reboots
how is that possible?

D-Link. Anything is possible. :oops:

Are the devices on the same circuit? Are they both on a UPS that filters surges, brownouts and provides clean (sine wave) power (connected to the UPS together or separately)?

Does a full network shutdown (disconnecting all power, LAN, USB, and other cables) and then properly bringing the network up (first modem, router, switches and only connecting cables at each step), stop this unwanted behavior?

Also, are you unplugging from the wall or from the switch? One or the other end may not be up to specs on how it disconnects the power (properly). :)

yeah, they are same circuit, next to each other, no UPS involved
i am unplugging from the wall, not from switch

full network shutdown doesnt help :) same behaviour afterwards
gonna see what happens if i take out the power from the switch, but shouldnt be different?

I am interested in this - because this week, I have been plagued with a similar problem:

RPI B+ running Domototicz, connected directly to one of the 1GB RJ45 ports on the 86U. Both 86U and RPI micro USB 5V power are driven off an APC UPS.

The RPI has been crashing (don't know why - it just goes down so fast the logs don't show enough data to diagnose) and on a number of these crashes, it has taken out the out the 86U - which then reboots (thankfully). The 86U runs vanilla 384.14 - no scripts, no JFS, no USB devices - nothing - and no config or topology changes have been made recently either. This only started happening a week ago - for the first time ever, but has been stable for the last few days - fingers crossed!

PS. I ended up looking for something (free) that would (easily) monitor what was going on in the RPI - and I found https://www.netdata.cloud/. Wow. I'm blown away - check it out if you have any Linux in the environment. (Would be cool as a Merlin plugin - just saying...)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!