What's new

Router recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

n00bftwin

New Around Here
Hi, I am looking for a decent (powerful) router that is capable of running Wireguard VPN config and fully saturating a 1GB line, and yes... I'm aware I need a VPN provider who can provide such bandwidth. I currently have an Asus RT-AX11000 and an AI Mesh environment setup, which just doesn't cut it, the built-in VPN utility only allows around 300MB down, if that. The same VPN/server saturates my 1GB line when using the VPN software directly.

Agree with L&LD, no consumer (ASUS/d-link, you name it) would handle that...as an alternative to Netgate (which are beefy, yet also costly, business-capable network appliances), perhaps some of the more powerful mini-PC's with newer generation Intel i7+ or Ryzen 7+ CPUs and multiple 2.5Gbe NICs running pfSense/OPNsense could handle the loads specified above. You'll have to do some searching around with regards to what sort of hardware specs you would need to support > 300Mbps downstream over a VPN from a network appliance. It may be that some of the newer generation Celerons could easily handle that throughput when combined with modern NICs, though I'm not 100% certain of that.

Last edited:
WireGuard become more popular around home routers, but not ready yet for business use.
x86 appliance with pfSense is the way to go, but WireGuard may not be the best VPN choice:

1678304492120.png