What's new

Router recommendations (for 600 Mbit internet connection) plus POE switch (with x8 100 Mbit + x4 1000 Mbit ports)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cenerth

New Around Here
Hi,

I just switched to 600 mbit internet yesterday and I am looking to upgrade my home network.

I am looking for:

- POE SWITCH: I need x8 100 Mbit ports (802.3af) for IP cameras + x3 1000 Mbit ports (802.3af or passive 24V) for UNIFI UAP-AC-LR devices (at the moment I still use a single port injectors...) and one more 1000 Mbit port (802.3af) for 60 GHz PTP bridge (MikroTik wAP 60G). Switch needs to be managed.

I will also need x4 1000 Mbit ports for non poe devices (NAS, PC, etc).

- ROUTER: Needs to be enough fast and stable to work with 600 Mbit internet connection and operate for two houses (each house with about ~40 wireless / wired clients, second house is connected to router by 60 GHz PTP bridge). No W-Fi required as I have UNIFI devices.

My first idea was to buy something from MikroTik (from cheap RB750GR3 HEX to / RB4011IGS / RB5009UG etc) or Ubiqiuti (EdgeRouter X / EdgeRouter 4).

What would you recommend here? I was thinking to get all-in-one device (Mikrotik CCR or something similar) but now I see it's not really possible to cover everything what I need, I assume I need to buy a router and POE switch separately and it will be even cheaper, what do you think?

I found pretty decent Cisco switch (Catalyst 3560X WS-C3560X-24P-L) locally and it's also very cheap ($50). It comes with a x24 POE+ 1000 Mbit ports but it's not really efficient device (according to datasheet, it takes about 98 watts when network traffic is 0%...).

It would be great if device would be fast and stable, not very expansive (I am not afraid to buy used devices) but efficiency is also important for me.

Any comment would be much appreciated,

Thank you

I have had the Edgerouter ERL-3 and i also had a Mikrotik RB3011. They are both good devices, reliable and fast, one being a bit more complicated to set up than the other. Any decent modern router can handle 600mbit. I guess the choice to make is budget, and what other functionality you would want other than routing.

On the switch point, not sure why you even differentiate between 100mbit and 1000mbit ports on the switch. A decent Netgear type GS724tp or Cisco SG350-28p switch should be able to cover all your demands. I have bought both second hand and had no issues whatsoever with either. Personally, i wouldn't go near equipment such as Cisco Catalyst. They are industry-grade, complicated to configure and power-hungry.

Thanks for your answer, 100 mbit poe+ is sufficient for my CCTV and it's much cheaper to get them but I also need a few 1 gbps poe+ ports, I really like the Netgear GS724tp, for how much did you buy yours? Cheapest which I found in my country is $300 for used one:confused:

Thanks for your answer, 100 mbit poe+ is sufficient for my CCTV and it's much cheaper to get them but I also need a few 1 gbps poe+ ports, I really like the Netgear GS724tp, for how much did you buy yours? Cheapest which I found in my country is $300 for used one:confused:

Wow, that's absurd. I bought my Cisco SG350-28P for 100 Euro and before that i had a Netgear GS752tp which i bought for 130 Euro.