What's new

Router RT-AC66R Media Server Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redsoxfanatic76

New Around Here
So, I've read several of the forums, and have spent hours talking with ASUS techs on the phone, and to no avail, I can't get my media server to re-scan once I make any changes to the external hard drive. The only way to get it to work is to unmount it and then remount it.

I'm currently running: Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.376_3626

I was using it fine for over a year (can't remember which firmware version I was using) but all of a sudden, the server would stop scanning. I hadn't changed a thing at that point. So, I thought finally upgrading to a newer firmware would resolve the issue. Wrong! I tried downgrading, which didn't work. I tried several different firmwares, and even erased, reformatted my external drive (WD 2TB). I'm able to download and use the external drive without issues. I can use the computer to transfer / delete files, etc. I can use download master to download files. The problem is, any changes I make to the drive won't show up unless I unmount and remount the drive. It's a pain!

I've been researching the forums and I saw where it was recommended do erase the files.bin file, but that doesn't exist on my drive. I've checked everywhere.

I'm not interested in any special tweaking abilities, so I know tomato would be pointless for me. It looks like Merlin would be a stable solution, but would it resolve my issue? Or can anyone please help and let me know what I need to do? I'm at the point now where I'm going to have to buy another router. I like ASUS, and love download master for having the ability to download in the background (hidden of course).

Does Merlin's FW come with a stable DLNA? If so, is it the same way to flash as upgrading the stock firmware on the router? Just flash the .trx file through the user interface? Please help!

Thanks in advance!

This is a known issue with 376_3626. Minidlna's inotify support (what allows it to monitor the disk for any change) is disabled. You can either switch to my firmware, or wait for Asus to release a newer version for the AC66U (they resolved this issue in their recent 378_xxxx releases).

On a RT-AC66R Router, I cannot configure the media server settings after clicking on USB application-Media Services and Servers. It brings me to the media server config page but does not fully load the entire page as it used to. IT only shows the options from Itunes server name down, but I am unable to select anything or configure the media server. This seems to have happened after I tried to add manual media server paths to avoid the media server from seeing everything on the connected hard drive. After adding the manual paths, it locked me out from selecting anything further.

I have restored to factory defaults and loaded the config from the saved file and it is still locked. Please, if anyone knows how to fix this let me know!

Thank you!:)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!