What's new

Router running VPN Server - Can't access router page or devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bizzaro

New Around Here
I'm trying to set up a VPN server on my router so that I can access my router settings and devices on my lan while I'm away. I followed the instructions here. My current settings look like this. I exported the config file and was able to connect and could access the internet on both my phone and laptop, but if I try to access the router page it just loads and loads. Is there a setting there that I'm missing or got wrong?

I'm trying to set up a VPN server on my router so that I can access my router settings and devices on my lan while I'm away. I followed the instructions here. My current settings look like this. I exported the config file and was able to connect and could access the internet on both my phone and laptop, but if I try to access the router page it just loads and loads. Is there a setting there that I'm missing or got wrong?

First, hit the Default button on the bottom of the page.

Only change the following leaving all other defaults as-is.

Set RSA Encryption to 2048 bit, and set Manage Client Specific Options to Yes. Set Allow Client to Client to Yes.

Hit Apply and then Export the OpenVPN Configuration file.

This is all that is needed.

Test that the above works and customize past this while testing and keeping notes of your changes.

After successfully creating a configuration that works as you want, leave the router running for about 15 minutes afterward and then reboot and test again. The reboot will ensure you have the most stable server/router possible. :)

First, hit the Default button on the bottom of the page.

Only change the following leaving all other defaults as-is.

Set RSA Encryption to 2048 bit, and set Manage Client Specific Options to Yes. Set Allow Client to Client to Yes.

Hit Apply and then Export the OpenVPN Configuration file.

This is all that is needed.

Test that the above works and customize past this while testing and keeping notes of your changes.

After successfully creating a configuration that works as you want, leave the router running for about 15 minutes afterward and then reboot and test again. The reboot will ensure you have the most stable server/router possible. :)
I did as you said and added a username and password to the list. I tried connecting using the OpenVPN app on my iphone with the wifi turned off, but now it won't even connect to the server.

I did as you said and added a username and password to the list. I tried connecting using the OpenVPN app on my iphone with the wifi turned off, but now it won't even connect to the server.

Is your phone on LTE and not on WiFi? Did you download the latest ovpn file you created on it?

Is your phone on LTE and not on WiFi? Did you download the latest ovpn file you created on it?
Yes and yes. After about a minute or two of trying to connect it tells me "There was an error attempting to connect to the selected server."

From the log:
"Transport Error: DNS resolve error on 'nextcloud' for UDP session: DNS/RRset does not exist"

So maybe it has something to do with the DDNS script I'm running? I'm using this.

Oh, right. I needed to edit the config file and correct the host name.

Sweet, I got it working and I can now access the router page, as well as the device I was trying to reach. Thanks!

Thanks for this post L&LD - this helped me too. I can now log in remotely using Chrome browser to router and to NAS setup pages. I can also use SMB remotely to connect to shared network drives on my Asus router home network. Very handy.