What's new

Router stops responding, no DHCP, but it's still offering up the Internet.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OFark

Occasional Visitor
I'm starting a new question as my old question was Web Camera related and I was starting to turn into something else.

I've had an Asus RT-AC3200 for a few years now. Thinking it would be a good stable router as it cost a fair bit. It has not been stable, every few months I had to reset the damned thing as it would stop working. I never paid much attention to it, just reset it.

A few months ago, amid a pandemic and being furloughed we had to move house, also internet service provider. So I don't know if this is "new house", with lots of new smart IOT stuff, or perhaps a lot more work from home, but the router now lasts about 3.5 days before falling over.

When I say fall over, IF you have an IP address you can access the internet like nothing is wrong. However, no new IP addresses are given, meaning the WiFi is useless. Web UI is unavailable, like nothing is responding to HTTP requests, SSH the same. Scripts stop working, syslog stops logging.

First thing I tried was moving DNS to a PiHole. Then I tried, Advanced Tomato, wouldn't boot. DD-WRT, got really confused about what port was for what and basically I couldn't get the internet through it. So now I'm on Merlin, and I still have the same issue.

Thanks to some helpful people here I've fixed an issue with a web camera that kept dropping out on wireless. So my wireless settings are heavily manual, but the rest of the settings are mostly Auto. I have QOS off, I tried it on. I have a LetsEncrypt FQDN DDNS, Wireless, a few reserved IP addresses, VPN server and that's about it.

I've done an NVRAM clear and setup everything from fresh, no change.

What I have noticed is the RAM usage, basically, it all get's used up, then the thing falls over. I've tried monitoring everything I can to InfluxDB, which stops when it falls over, but I can see nothing that would indicate what's using up RAM.

I have logged every running process, "ps -T" to InfluxDB, and the memory variation of any process is negligible.

1598265413889.png

Here you can see the yellow area (use RAM kb) the green area (free RAM kb) (on the Right Y) the sudden jumps are hard resets I've had to do. During the last few days you can see the difference in process memory consumption (Left Y), the purple one is spdmerlin logging ookla speedtests. As you can the variation in memory usage a) doesn't climb for any particular process, and b) variations are mostly a few kb. So I have no idea what's consuming RAM. I've tried clearing log files, see that small change in the middle of the second phase, around lunch time on the 19th, that's the difference it made.

A close up since PS logging:
1598265697746.png

Here is the same time frame, but with the total amount of memory use reported by PS:
1598265886288.png

As you can see just before it dies some of the memory usage starts dropping away irratically, my thoughts are the system kills somethings useful, to save memory, but I can't see what because it stops logging anything. Logging is to JFFS.

The cream line that flutters away is a sum of the many "wred-B" processes.

I've enabled a SWAP on a USB, it's barely used. (It was 21MB before it fell over, been that way for a few hours too)

Maybe memory usage is normal and I'm barking up the wrong tree, but it doesn't seem right to me that free RAM is dropping when nothing is using it. Or apparently not using it.

I appreciate that PS is not an accurate way of adding up memory usage, and I've deliberately stayed away from totalling memory usage from it, but I would expect it to show a change if one was happening.

Can anyone point me in a direction that will help me get this router stable?

The last few minutes of logging:
Aug 24 02:38:23 dropbear[8027]: Child connection from 156.96.156.34:45180
Aug 24 02:39:23 dropbear[8027]: Exit before auth from <156.96.156.34:45180>: Exited normally
Aug 24 02:42:45 dnsmasq-dhcp[276]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0) 30:fd:38:67:75:23
Aug 24 02:42:45 dnsmasq-dhcp[276]: DHCPOFFER(br0) 192.168.1.42 30:fd:38:67:75:23
Aug 24 02:42:45 dnsmasq-dhcp[276]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0) 30:fd:38:67:75:23
Aug 24 02:42:45 dnsmasq-dhcp[276]: DHCPOFFER(br0) 192.168.1.42 30:fd:38:67:75:23
Aug 24 02:42:45 dnsmasq-dhcp[276]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.42 30:fd:38:67:75:23
Aug 24 02:42:45 dnsmasq-dhcp[276]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.42 30:fd:38:67:75:23 Google-Home-Mini
Aug 24 02:42:46 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using auto-selected server for WAN interface
Aug 24 02:45:13 kernel: tdts_core_ioctl_udb_op_prog_ctrl() fail!
Aug 24 02:45:40 kernel: tdts_core_ioctl_udb_op_prog_ctrl() fail!
Aug 24 02:47:05 kernel: tdts_core_ioctl_udb_op_prog_ctrl() fail!
Aug 24 02:47:05 kernel: tdts_core_ioctl_udb_op_prog_ctrl() fail!

Unless someone has a direct fix for you, this is what I would do for the fastest way to know if it's your hardware or your configuration that may be causing issues. Not a guarantee to fix anything, per se, but it will allow yourself and others to troubleshoot from a good/known starting point.

If the above steps are followed strictly and there are no issues, then slowly introduce any customizations or other changes, one at a time, and keep testing before adding other changes to your network until you either find the one that breaks things or, you have a fully working network again.

HTH.

Unless someone has a direct fix for you, this is what I would do for the fastest way to know if it's your hardware or your configuration that may be causing issues. Not a guarantee to fix anything, per se, but it will allow yourself and others to troubleshoot from a good/known starting point.

If the above steps are followed strictly and there are no issues, then slowly introduce any customizations or other changes, one at a time, and keep testing before adding other changes to your network until you either find the one that breaks things or, you have a fully working network again.

HTH.

Thanks for the help, it's a start. Just so I'm 100% following you here, do you think I need to reflash the firmware, and is step 14 suggesting to flash the firmware a second time?

Yes. Flash and reflash the firmware (and it's worth trying again for 'stubborn' equipment). It has been proven to correct random issues for several members here.

Reset, as per your instructions. 2 Hours later and still sitting flat on the RAM usage. Good. Now I'm going to add IP reservations and Open some ports.

Still looking good. I've added in my old SSID as a guest network, updated some details of the clients, (pictures, names etc), setup DDNS, Setup DNS pointing to PiHole, setup SSH access. It's coming up to 3.5 days soon enough, but the RAM usage is stable at around 26%. Fingers crossed.

Since you're using Pi-hole, I suggest you take advantage of Merlin's DNSFilter feature available on his FW. That will force any and all DNS queries on your network to your Pi-hole and will prevent devices that use hard coded DNS entries from by-passing your Pi-hole. I do this with my pair of Pi-hole's.

Glad to see you are getting some stability now.

Yeah, I saw that. Currently, nothing is bothering me with adverts (unless I'm on works VPN) and my son isn't old enough to know what the internet is. But I do think it'll be something I can use for adult content filtering when he grows up a bit.

HTH.

I have to say I think this has done it. I've put back everything that I used to have, settings wise. Manually, not from a saved config, and it seems stable. Thank you.

It's started doing it again. I've not touched the router, except to reserve an IP for my PS5, and it's started doing it again. Every few days I get the same problem, Wireless won't connect and DHCP doesn't work. I have literally not changed any setting since I reset it and it was working and it's started playing up again.

Seems the only thing that changed is the PS5? Seems a likely suspect, at least.

What firmware are you using? Rebooting doesn't help?

Do you have a large number of different devices connecting (people coming over, kids friends, etc.). The router remembers every single device which has ever connected and can sometimes get in trouble because of it. If you do a search for 'clear networkmap' you'll find some things you might try.

If you don't do the IP reserve does the issue go away? ie: just let the PS5 get a Dynamic IP assigned.

Do you have a large number of different devices connecting (people coming over, kids friends, etc.). The router remembers every single device which has ever connected and can sometimes get in trouble because of it. If you do a search for 'clear networkmap' you'll find some things you might try.

No, Even more so now. We do live very near the road and lots of people walk past, though.

If you don't do the IP reserve does the issue go away? ie: just let the PS5 get a Dynamic IP assigned.

The PS5 isn't the only thing I reversed an IP address for, just the only thing I've changed since I set it all back up months ago.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!