What's new

Router suggestion for 4K streaming from Synology 214play

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

it all demands what feature in router you need additional
1. Synology Router RT2600ac - if you need the best parental control
2. Asus AX86U - if you want to use RMerlin soft and amtm module https://diversion.ch/amtm.html . AX86U is the best option but as budget device you can consider AX58U.
3. Ubiquity: ER-X-SFP + UAP-AC-Lite (cheap stable wi-fi solution) or ER-12 + Access Point U6 Lite/Access Point U6 LR + Poe injector or Dream Machine (if you do not need the CLI to perform supported operations)
4. ....

from you list above I would consider only Netgear R7000 as it have FreshTomato support. here supported FT routers https://wiki.freshtomato.org/doku.php/hardware_compatibility
most of routers with manufacturer soft are very limited and for example for Tp-Link you change soft for OpenWRT LuCI/ Gargoyle.

distance from wi-fi router to laptop should be 2-3meters minimum - sometimes if it is to close it is challenge too :)

Last edited:
Reactions: KOA
Availability is an issue with both Asus and Synology. Why do people prefer FreshTomato over Openwrt and DD-wrt? I can increase the distance obviously.

I worked on OpenWRT and it is perfect but not as easy to setup as freshtomato that have a lot features integrated - for me personally it is easier than AsusWRT even. Just check features list.
I personally do not like DD-WRT was using it for 3y before I moved to tomato and I am using it for 10y now.

Soon I am changing router and I will be with EdgeRouter or I will decide to make my own as mini PC and then it will be on OpenWRT or pfsense

It was more like advice that you should buy a router that have availability to work with alternative soft (that you know, like, have features you require) as those provided by router producers are not good enough.
Ubiquity (not expensive hardware) is in my opinion solution you can have even for small companies and I do not have challenges with promoting it.

RT-AX86U. There is an RT-AX86S that has fewer cores and less RAM that should work well. Also the RT-AX68U is good.

I worked on OpenWRT and it is perfect but not as easy to setup as freshtomato that have a lot features integrated - for me personally it is easier than AsusWRT even. Just check features list.
I personally do not like DD-WRT was using it for 3y before I moved to tomato and I am using it for 10y now.

Soon I am changing router and I will be with EdgeRouter or I will decide to make my own as mini PC and then it will be on OpenWRT or pfsense

It was more like advice that you should buy a router that have availability to work with alternative soft (that you know, like, have features you require) as those provided by router producers are not good enough.
Ubiquity (not expensive hardware) is in my opinion solution you can have even for small companies and I do not have challenges with promoting it.
I have also used DD-wrt and OpenWRT. My last router was TL-WR1043ND, initially, I used DD-wrt on it and then OpenWRT. RT-AX86U is too expensive and no available on my local online store.

4K compressed video stream is about 40Mbps, so all of the above routers can do it.
4K uncompressed video stream is about 6Gbps, so no router on the market can do it.

4K compressed video stream is about 40Mbps, so all of the above routers can do it.
4K uncompressed video stream is about 6Gbps, so no router on the market can do it.
which router can do 6Gbps?

this router is to weak :)
you have only 2 WAN/LAN 10Gbit 1. WAN and 2nd as LAN connection to NAS . I cannot image that someone will configure WAN as 1Gbit and use 2 10Gb LANs
how you will get 6Gb from router to laptop :) over wi-fi? Is your laptop have 10Gbit LAN or wi-fi that will handle 6Gb :)

this means plex streams compressed 4K?

Really? Let's do some basic math for 24-bit 4K progressive scan @60fps stream:
24 x 3840 x 2160 x 60 = 11943936000, or ~12Gbps. Stream @30fps is half, or ~6Gbps.

this router is to weak :)
you have only 2 WAN/LAN 10Gbit 1. WAN and 2nd as LAN connection to NAS . I cannot image that someone will configure WAN as 1Gbit and use 2 10Gb LANs
how you will get 6Gb from router to laptop :) over wi-fi? Is your laptop have 10Gbit LAN or wi-fi that will handle 6Gb :)
Well wan speed isn’t a big deal since most isp are slower. But if you have a workstation and a NAS and do lots of video editing then dual 10gig Lan would be a dream

I don't know what LAN you guys are talking about, @KOA wants Wi-Fi connection. Streaming common compressed 4K videos to one client 6ft away is not a problem with any of the routers he listed in post #1. $30 Linksys E5400 AC1200 class with Fast Ethernet ports can do it. Why wasting $300 for nothing?