What's new

Router suggestions: GS-AX5400 vs. RT-AX3000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

klrcommute

New Around Here
Running an older model Asus AC router w/ Asus Merlin at the moment. Part of the reason I want to upgrade is it's no longer supported by even Merlin but also Nvidia Shield made the jump to Android 11 and there's some bizarre router crashing business going on with the wifi for like the last 6 months. (Totally unusable several hotfixes and a couple official release versions later, running on ethernet.)

So, first question: Right now I see the GS-AX5400 for $198.99 and the RT-AX3000 for $159.99. Thoughts on which to choose? I'm kinda leaning towards the 5400 not because the extra speed or the gaming marketing, but it's a bit newer and might get supported with firmware a bit longer? But if the 3000 is more stable, etc. I could just as easily get that one.

Second question: Anyone aware of this wifi issue with Android 11 on Nvidia Shield--is it's affecting later generation Asus routers as well?

Thanks in advance!

Running an older model Asus AC router w/ Asus Merlin at the moment. Part of the reason I want to upgrade is it's no longer supported by even Merlin but also Nvidia Shield made the jump to Android 11 and there's some bizarre router crashing business going on with the wifi for like the last 6 months. (Totally unusable several hotfixes and a couple official release versions later, running on ethernet.)

So, first question: Right now I see the GS-AX5400 for $198.99 and the RT-AX3000 for $159.99. Thoughts on which to choose? I'm kinda leaning towards the 5400 not because the extra speed or the gaming marketing, but it's a bit newer and might get supported with firmware a bit longer? But if the 3000 is more stable, etc. I could just as easily get that one.

Second question: Anyone aware of this wifi issue with Android 11 on Nvidia Shield--is it's affecting later generation Asus routers as well?

Thanks in advance!
Just found out the GS-AX5400 doesn't have merlin support, so I guess it's the RT-AX3000!

I'm kinda leaning towards the 5400 not because the extra speed or the gaming marketing, but it's a bit newer and might get supported with firmware a bit longer?

Both routers use the same hardware. AX3000 is locked in firmware to lower specs. Both will be perhaps supported equally long time.

Just found out the GS-AX5400 doesn't have merlin support, so I guess it's the RT-AX3000!

If this AX3000 comes in V2 variant, it is not Asuswrt-Merlin supported either. Make sure you get the right one, check the box.

Both routers use the same hardware. AX3000 is locked in firmware to lower specs. Both will be perhaps supported equally long time.

If this AX3000 comes in V2 variant, it is not Asuswrt-Merlin supported either. Make sure you get the right one, check the box.
Are you thinking of the RT (AX82U) AX5400? Or did you mean the new Strix gaming one?

Didn't know anything about there being multiple versions! How do I tell? I bought it new, so odds are I got a V2?

I think we're just confused here by all the awful naming convention. The ax3000 I got is not the tuf gaming one, but the other non-gaming branded one that has a best buy variant with a different sku that's actually the same router. Both variants are listed as supported on merlin, unless I'm misreading something.

Are you thinking of the RT (AX82U) AX5400? Or did you mean the new Strix gaming one?

All of them are the same hardware with different marketing, some features locked/unlocked and with/without RGB lights.

Didn't know anything about there being multiple versions! How do I tell? I bought it new, so odds are I got a V2?

If you already have it, check the sticker at the bottom. If you see it in store, check the label on the box. Most online stores don't list h/w version.

All of them are the same hardware with different marketing, some features locked/unlocked and with/without RGB lights.

If you already have it, check the sticker at the bottom. If you see it in store, check the label on the box. Most online stores don't list h/w version.
Box says RT-AX3000 H/W Ver.: A1? Manufactured in 2022. This one supported?

Version V2 of AX58U/AX3000 is not Asuswrt-Merlin supported yet, but Asus created so many different models and variants on this same hardware base that it's hard to keep track already. Make sure you have return or exchange options.

Version V2 of AX58U/AX3000 is not Asuswrt-Merlin supported yet, but Asus created so many different models and variants on this same hardware base that it's hard to keep track already. Make sure you have return or exchange options.
Right, I'm following that. But what in the naming convention even indicates it's Version 2? The hardware label 1A? The firmware? SKU?

It has printed V2 on the box and the label. I've seen AX58U V2 in my local computer store, for example.

Firmware - V2 routers require Asuswrt version 386.47029 or newer. Previous versions cannot be loaded.

Just unknowingly purchased a V2 AX58U (didn't see any mention in device list for V2 not being supported), currently on 3.0.0.4.386_49674 and cannot flash Merlin 386.7_2_cferom_puresqubi.w

Wondering if this V2 model is this something that might be supported in the not too distant future, or am I better off returning it while I can?

Return it while you can. Always.

You can re-buy it in the future if it is supported then.

Return it while you can. Always.

You can re-buy it in the future if it is supported then.
Easier said than done, bought it while on a trip, retailer has no stores near me to return it. Which is why I didn't mind waiting a bit if V2 support was in the works. My AC68U still getting the job done, but getting tired.

No one can guarantee you a support timeline or even if support ever comes at all.

I would return it if RMerlin's features are important to you.

No one can guarantee you a support timeline or even if support ever comes at all.

I would return it if RMerlin's features are important to you.
Guess that's what I'll have to do. Friendly suggestion: might be helpful to other potential RT-AX58U shoppers to mention "currently V1 only" on the supported device list for this model. Had I seen that, I wouldn't have purchased this in the first place. Save somebody else the headache.

That has been mentioned before, but RT-AX58U implicitly implies 'current V1' hardware.