What's new

Router ( Tp Link Deco x 55 )

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

odd

New Around Here
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I just recently got a deco x55 two pack for a friends house. He was experiencing poor connection the further he got away from his other single router. So I got the two pack mesh Wi-Fi system to replace it. Everything is set up and online right now. I run a speed test by Ookla to see how the speeds were. He has 1 gig download speed and I think 40 upload. When I stand in front of the main one connected to the modem, I am getting 650 top download speed using ookla speed test. My question is, why am I not getting at least 800-900 or higher with my phone running the speed test right next to the main WAP? I am not extremely tech savvy but I know a little.

I run a speed test by Ookla to see how the speeds were. He has 1 gig download speed and I think 40 upload. When I stand in front of the main one connected to the modem, I am getting 650 top download speed using ookla speed test. My question is, why am I not getting at least 800-900 or higher with my phone running the speed test right next to the main WAP?

That's ... pretty much par for the course, really. The real-world results that you'll get on WiFi connections are that net throughput is maybe two-thirds of the nominal transmit rate. If you have a two-stream client (and there are few with more) and an 80MHz channel width then the nominal transmit rate is at best 1200Mbps so you're not going to get more than ~800Mbps throughput (except under unreasonably-sanitized lab conditions). There might be some room to optimize your 650Mbps result, but you're not going to move the needle a great deal unless you can go up to 160MHz channel width. With currently-available gear you aren't going to be able to use 160 unless you can use DFS channels, which requires living somewhere in far-from-any-airport-or-weather-radar hinterlands. Anyplace where you can get a 1Gbps internet connection, that's just a pipe dream I think.

Welcome to the reality of current WiFi practice :-( ... there is a lot of marketing hot air here.

In any case, a 650Mbps speedtest result is plenty good enough for just about any current use-case. What you should be paying attention to is whether you can provide service comparable to that throughout the household. If you can, you have accomplished a great deal.

Reactions: odd
That's ... pretty much par for the course, really. The real-world results that you'll get on WiFi connections are that net throughput is maybe two-thirds of the nominal transmit rate. If you have a two-stream client (and there are few with more) and an 80MHz channel width then the nominal transmit rate is at best 1200Mbps so you're not going to get more than ~800Mbps throughput (except under unreasonably-sanitized lab conditions). There might be some room to optimize your 650Mbps result, but you're not going to move the needle a great deal unless you can go up to 160MHz channel width. With currently-available gear you aren't going to be able to use 160 unless you can use DFS channels, which requires living somewhere in far-from-any-airport-or-weather-radar hinterlands. Anyplace where you can get a 1Gbps internet connection, that's just a pipe dream I think.

Welcome to the reality of current WiFi practice :-( ... there is a lot of marketing hot air here.

In any case, a 650Mbps speedtest result is plenty good enough for just about any current use-case. What you should be paying attention to is whether you can provide service comparable to that throughout the household. If you can, you have accomplished a great deal.
Hello, thank you for the reply. Most of the terms you used in the beginning, I do not understand. I definitely understand the bottom sentences and I will check how the service is throughout the house tomorrow.
Would you recommend I read:

Thread 'READ THIS before you post'
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/read-this-before-you-post.1220/

And then make a more knowledgeable purchase?

Or is that thread outdated?

Would you recommend I read:
Thread 'READ THIS before you post'
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/read-this-before-you-post.1220/
And then make a more knowledgeable purchase?

I wouldn't be in a hurry to change out those Deco units --- while I have no personal experience with them, they're okay mid-range gear AFAIK. The thing to be thinking about at this point is whether you can provide adequate coverage throughout your friend's premises. This is a good starting read:

The Ars Technica semi-scientific guide to Wi-Fi Access Point placement

From what you said to start with, your friend isn't unhappy with peak performance but with poor performance in crannies of the house. So set out to fix that. Maybe you will find that these two Deco units can't cover the house, and you need more units or other units; but first see what you can do with what you have. That will at least give you a feel for what more you need.

I just recently got a deco x55 two pack for a friends house.

If the setup is wireless:
Main - ~800Mbps
Satellite - ~400Mbps

If the setup is wired:
Main - ~800Mbps
Satellite - ~800Mbps

Maximum throughput with 2-stream AX client with 80MHz wide channel (most AX clients).

This system can do more with 160MHz wide channel, but not guaranteed to work in every environment. DFS channels requirement means detected radar transmissions around will disrupt Wi-Fi. I recommend keeping it at 80MHz wide channel for better stability and range. The speed is plenty for most mobile devices. Desktops, Game Consoles, TVs work best wired. You may need an extra switch for more LAN ports.

Or is that thread outdated?

It is. The site is not actively updated.

Last edited:
Desktops, Game Consoles, TVs work best wired. You may need an extra switch for more LAN ports.
Yeah. Anything that you can reasonably connect with an ethernet cable, do so. Wireless bandwidth is precious --- don't waste it on devices that could perfectly well use a cable.

I have installed 2x Deco systems so far - M4 (wireless) and X60 (wired) and never heard about any issues. Not the best performance you can get from Wi-Fi, but excellent for the price and stable. The "roaming" works better than Asus AiMesh with much more expensive routers. Both are phone App controlled and very user friendly, including Wife Acceptance Factor friendly. Single SSID with quite adequate Smart Connect.

I have installed 2x Deco systems so far - M4 (wireless) and X60 (wired) and never heard about any issues. Not the best performance you can get from Wi-Fi, but excellent for the price and stable. The "roaming" works better than Asus AiMesh with much more expensive routers. Both are phone App controlled and very user friendly, including Wife Acceptance Factor friendly. Single SSID with quite adequate Smart Connect.
Is there any settings within the app that I should adjust? I don’t know much about Wi-Fi settings and configuration.

My brother has a Deco M4 system at his place and he has tons of issues with them. Lost connections mesh not pairing and other stuff. He has called upon me a couple times but unfortunately, not much more to be done than reset them and then it goes ok for a while again. Told him to dump the stuff and get something decent.

My brother has a Deco M4 system at his place and he has tons of issues with them. Lost connections mesh not pairing and other stuff. He has called upon me a couple times but unfortunately, not much more to be done than reset them and then it goes ok for a while again. Told him to dump the stuff and get something decent.
Good to know. Thank you!

has tons of issues

TP-Link has a practice of fixing things on the fly. Deco M4 has V1 initial to V4 current versions. This is perhaps the difference. I was going based on many positive reviews and V4 unit works flawlessly indeed. The 2-pack set was purchased for $100. Deco X60 2-pack set was $150 on sale. No issues.