What's new

Router Using 40MHz on 2.4Ghz when set to 20MHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mr Zippy

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I can't find any mention of this on this forum, or on Google to be honest...

I've just got two new routers: -
Asus RT-AX88U as router
Asus Zen Wifi XD4R as Access Point

I've just done a WiFi channel scan and see that both are using 40MHz channels on 2.4GHz, when set to 20MHz only.

Is this a bug?

Obviously this isn't desirable as I am squatting over 1/3 of the band, and whilst it's only my IoT devices using this band, it's far from ideal.

Does anyone else see this issue?

See attached network scan, I am using channel 11, my trace is green/red.

Also see attached the router settings.

Attachments

• wifi.png
    wifi.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 189
  • asus.png
    asus.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 188
What happens when you use Auto Channel? Also use Dual Band SmartConnect. What firmware version?
Some clients do not like WPA2/WPA3. In this case set up a Guest WIFI with just WPA2.

Last edited:
Hi

Firmware as below, both should be on the latest firmware version.

AX88U - 3.0.0.4.386_46065-ge51f2dc
XD4R - 3.0.0.4.386_46061-g9a06866

I noticed this when they were on auto, I've now changed to manual channel and rebooted both, still the same.

Surely the clients cannot force 40MHz if the router is set to 20MHz, or can they?

Also out of interest how would WPA3 make wider channels?

I don't use smart connect as I only use 5GHz, except for some IoT devices that only support 2.4GHz, so two different network names.

See attached the diagnostics log from the AX88U, this says 20MHz.

Just tried turning to WPA2 only, auto channel and then creating a guest network - this was also 40MHz.

Attachments

• asus2.png
    asus2.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Good point, I was using a Linux app, just tried the built in WiFi scan on my MacBook Pro...

This shows both devices as 20 MHz, so it would appear the panic is over!

Thanks for the comments, you've solved my issue, desktop software error.

I did notice the one router is transmitting a country code of DE, the other nothing, doing some research you can't change this, and with the exception of Macs potentially having roaming issues, this isn't an issue. I note my iPhone and MacBook roam fine between the router and AP, which others seem to have issues with.

I did a bit more searching and found an article on this forum, via Google, that suggests it's a bug with LinSSID on Ubuntu.

Although I note changing the mode to "N only" it shows as 20MHz in LinSSID as noted in the other thread.

Last edited: