What's new

Router vs mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GTvert90

Regular Contributor
Lightning took out my router. I was using an Asus rt88u. It work worked really well and was stable for me. I have a Plex server set up,, and use syncthing so I need port forwarding capabilities. when I backup the server I usually connect my laptop via ethernet so maximum wireless speed isn't the most important.

That said I've got a Chromecast audio in the garage that is kind of on the fringe of my wifi range. It will disconnect from my phone and I won't properly be able to control the song/volume
I'm sure it could be resolved by moving the router location, but I was wondering if I'd be better off with a mesh setup?

Does the mesh routers have port forwarding and all the fancy software stuff a typical router has or would I need to set up a managed switch between the mesh APs and modem?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Most mesh systems will support simple port forwarding (single ports, no triggered ports). Some have parental controls.

What do you think a managed switch would do?

If you are otherwise happy with your WiFi, an extender could be a better buy.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!