What's new

Router will not let me change default user/password

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Frank Vollono

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I have a Motorola MG-7700 modem/router combo and I have been having connection issues all week. I tried to log into the router (192.168.0.1) using Chrome and I could not log in using the auto-fill settings. So I reset the modem to the default settings.

That solved my connection issues so far at least. Now I wanted to change the default passwords. Changing the WiFi password was no problem, but when I try to change the router admin password from the default admin/motorola to something else, I can not log in with the changed settings.

I have tried it at least 15 times with the simplest user/passwords to eliminate any chance of typos. Tried different browsers and devices. I made sure Cap lock was off and did everything I could to make sure I was using the correct new password. No luck, can't log in.

I don't want to keep the default password but I'm out of ideas. Anyone know what might be wrong?

Thanks!

are you on a wired connection ?

Thanks for replying!

My modem/router is connect to Cable Internet if that is what you mean. My PC is connected to the modem/router with a Ethernet cable. All other devices are WiFi.

That answer what you were asking?

If after a factory reset, you are still not able to change the password, you need to talk to the ISP to replace the unit.

They may also download a new firmware and have you test that.

If after a factory reset, you are still not able to change the password, you need to talk to the ISP to replace the unit.

They may also download a new firmware and have you test that.
Assuming the ISP says everything is fine regarding the firmware and the modem is mine. Do I have any other options?

Hi everyone,

I have a Motorola MG-7700 modem/router combo and I have been having connection issues all week. I tried to log into the router (192.168.0.1) using Chrome and I could not log in using the auto-fill settings. So I reset the modem to the default settings.

That solved my connection issues so far at least. Now I wanted to change the default passwords. Changing the WiFi password was no problem, but when I try to change the router admin password from the default admin/motorola to something else, I can not log in with the changed settings.

I have tried it at least 15 times with the simplest user/passwords to eliminate any chance of typos. Tried different browsers and devices. I made sure Cap lock was off and did everything I could to make sure I was using the correct new password. No luck, can't log in.

I don't want to keep the default password but I'm out of ideas. Anyone know what might be wrong?

Thanks!

Be sure the device will allow you to use a different user name than admin. Some devices only permit admin so leave the user name as admin and then just change the password and see what happens.

Assuming the ISP says everything is fine regarding the firmware and the modem is mine. Do I have any other options?
You’ve used multiple browsers, but make sure there are no ad-blockers or auto fill enabled at the time. Try Private Browsing/Incognito mode to eliminate any cookie/cache issues.

Thanks everyone. I have tried what you've been suggesting.

I tried changing my info to:

User: admin
Pass: abcef123 (not exactly but basically same)

Clicked Save, confirmation window says it was saved.

Tried to log in with

Pass: abcdef123

Says wrong user/password.

Then I tried the default

Pass: motorola

Says wrong user/password.

So something changed, but not what I'm typing in or so it seems. This is pretty odd. I've been searching the net all morning and not many people seem to even have this problem. That's why I tried these forums.

are you actually typing admin when you change the password or are you leaving alone and just typing in the password field ?

I'm leaving it alone and typing in the password field only. I clicked in the "Current User" field and it auto filled "admin" into both the current and new user fields.

I'm leaving it alone and typing in the password field only. I clicked in the "Current User" field and it auto filled "admin" into both the current and new user fields.
I would still disable any auto fill for the modem/router. Sometimes hidden fields get missed or wrongly populated when using auto fill. Or try retyping what is autofilled.

Solved! Finally got it to work. 50th time is a charm I guess.

I don't know for sure if I was just screwing something up the 49 other times or not but what I did the last time was after I typed in a new user & password and hit save, the window would refresh into a new reset password page. Instead of closing the window and trying to log into my router, I changed everything a 2nd time to a different password.

Now it works! Strange no?

Thanks for the help working though the problem, I lost half a head of hair on this.

I know this is an old post, but I thought I would share my experience with changing user/pass on Motorola cable modem/router. When you log in for the first time, you will be asked to change the password. If you do not fill in the new user field and only enter a new password, your login will now use no (blank) username. If this happens you will need to reset the modem to factory default by using a paper clip to push the reset on the back of the modem. When you log in this time, the modem will ask you to change the password again. This time be sure to fill in both new user and new password. Even if you want to keep the admin username. You will need to enter admin (or your new username) in the new user field. Click the "Save" button. You will now be able to log in with your new user/pass. Do not leave the "New User" field blank.