What's new

Router with > 70mbps on VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marrduk24

New Around Here
I currently have a cable modem + router from Netgear and want to move to a router based VPN encryption. I currently use PPTP encryption to bypass ISP throttling of Usenet, and even though OpenVPN is more secure, PPTP works for me as it is faster.

I will use my cable modem router purely as modem and considering two options with it
1. A new wireless router that’s powerful enough to get me > 70mbps on VPN. PPTP is fine from my standpoint but I am fine with OpenVPN too as long as I get the speed
2. Get a QOTOM mini-PC with PFsense and get a cheaper wirelsss router (something like Linksys EA7300).

I have about 12 wiresss devices at home, which is a mix of 2.4ghz only devices (printers, Roku etc) and bunch of iPhones/ iPads. I have a couple of wired devices.

my preference would be to not go down the QOTOM route unless I have to. Is there a router that’s fit for my purpose?

Our apartment is about 3000 ft over one floor, has concrete walls and router will be in one corner.

I currently have a cable modem + router from Netgear and want to move to a router based VPN encryption. I currently use PPTP encryption to bypass ISP throttling of Usenet, and even though OpenVPN is more secure, PPTP works for me as it is faster.

I will use my cable modem router purely as modem and considering two options with it
1. A new wireless router that’s powerful enough to get me > 70mbps on VPN. PPTP is fine from my standpoint but I am fine with OpenVPN too as long as I get the speed
2. Get a QOTOM mini-PC with PFsense and get a cheaper wirelsss router (something like Linksys EA7300).

I have about 12 wiresss devices at home, which is a mix of 2.4ghz only devices (printers, Roku etc) and bunch of iPhones/ iPads. I have a couple of wired devices.

my preference would be to not go down the QOTOM route unless I have to. Is there a router that’s fit for my purpose?

Our apartment is about 3000 ft over one floor, has concrete walls and router will be in one corner.

From being along time lurker on this forum and reading lots and lots of posts about vpns especially openvpn ,ive found out that the recently released Asus RT-AC86U is one of the best routers for open vpn achieving over 100mb+ on openvpn

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075WFL15D/?tag=smallncom-21

I just moved over the AC86U and can achieve >150mbps using openVPN. It seems to perform better than I expected so it migh be a worthy consideration for you.

I just moved over the AC86U and can achieve >150mbps using openVPN. It seems to perform better than I expected so it migh be a worthy consideration for you.
Hello @unclebuk
Is the speed you reported to a vpn server nearby your geo location? What do you get when connecting to a server on the left coast of USA?

Hello @unclebuk
Is the speed you reported to a vpn server nearby your geo location? What do you get when connecting to a server on the left coast of USA?
Hello,

Depending the VPN server I select on the west coast of USA, speeds vary from 90Mbps d/L to 120/130Mbps d/L.

Hello,

Depending the VPN server I select on the west coast of USA, speeds vary from 90Mbps d/L to 120/130Mbps d/L.
Thank you. Trying to help a friend. The AC86U should meet the requirements. Will have to put their DSL modem/router in bridge mode. They have a 50 down DSL line. I'll let you know how it turns out.