What's new

Router with >70mbps on VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marrduk24

New Around Here
I currently have an integrated cable modem + router from Netgear and want to move to a router based VPN encryption. I currently use PPTP encryption on my PC to bypass ISP throttling of Usenet, and even though OpenVPN is more secure, PPTP works for me as it is faster.

Going forward I will use my Netgear cable modem router purely as modem and considering two options with it
1. A new wireless router that’s powerful enough to get me > 70mbps on VPN. PPTP is fine from my standpoint but I am fine with OpenVPN too as long as I get the speed
2. Get a QOTOM mini-PC with PFsense and get a cheaper wirelsss router (something like Linksys EA7500).

I have about 12 wiresss devices at home, which is a mix of 2.4ghz only devices (printers, Roku etc) and bunch of iPhones/ iPads. I have a couple of wired devices.

my preference would be to not go down the QOTOM route unless I have to. Is there a router that’s fit for my purpose?

Our apartment is about 3000 ft over one floor, has concrete walls and router will be in one corner.

The 86U would be fine its a powerful unit for VPN, the Qotom+AP (your current device as the AP) combo might be better if you are comfortable with it.