What's new

Router with great range - AX86U or cheaper?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hundra

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my old TL-WR841HP router, currently I'm looking into the ASUS AX86U but I don't mind going cheaper (RT-AX3000, TP-Link AX50 and any else) if there won't be noticeable differences for my needs.
Looking for : 1. Reliability, 2. Range (!), 3. Security, 4. minimum 4 LAN ports.
My connection is 200/100 (i might upgrade, its fiber allowing up to 1000 asymmetric - so don't want to be limited).
The apartment is one floor around 1,500 sq ft (all concrete-steel bars).
No need for VPN, low latency and such, only normal use with all type of devices and i don't mind to have some future proofing (Wifi 6) and a good device that will fill my non-gamer needs for a few years.

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my old TL-WR841HP router, currently I'm looking into the ASUS AX86U but I don't mind going cheaper (RT-AX3000, TP-Link AX50 and any else) if there won't be noticeable differences for my needs.
Looking for : 1. Reliability, 2. Range (!), 3. Security, 4. minimum 4 LAN ports.
My connection is 200/100 (i might upgrade, its fiber allowing up to 1000 asymmetric - so don't want to be limited).
The apartment is one floor around 1,500 sq ft (all concrete-steel bars).
No need for VPN, low latency and such, only normal use with all type of devices and i don't mind to have some future proofing (Wifi 6) and a good device that will fill my non-gamer needs for a few years.

Note that WiFi 6e arriving will eclipse WiFi 6, so future-proofing is easier said than done now.

"Great range" and "1,500 sq ft (all concrete-steel bars)" might suggest more than one AP vs. one AP with more range than you currently have. Given 1,500 sq ft and all concrete-steel bars, I would be inclined toward two APs... or Asus AiMesh. If so, AiMesh can be purchased incrementally, which could affect your purchase/upgrade plan.

OE

Last edited:
An 'e' won't eclipse the current standard. Still, WiFi 6 based. :)

An 'e' won't eclipse the current standard. Still, WiFi 6 based. :)

To know the difference, you would have to dig into it. But you might be able to delay until 6e and not have to think much about it.

OE

To know the difference, we would need the routers and the clients in our homes too.

I'll revisit this in 12 to 24 months. :)

Currently I'm getting 60/20 at the furthest room, that's 2.4ghz only, nearest the router about 100/40.
Now, I know wave length is better than the shorter 5ghz, but don't you think I can squeeze at least twice if not three times speed at AC with a good router such as the AX86U?
Yes I understand the idea of mesh,ap's and so, but I'm not sure I'm asking too much from a good router.
I do certain that I can't tell if I need the ax86u, or I can save some money and get the same coverage.

As for Wifi 6e, I think 6 is more than I'll need (it's just not costing much more than 5, if I'm comparing ac86u).

Last edited:
I’ve had reliability problem with my AX86U.

Can you elaborate?
Also, how many channels does ax86u have? I'm asking cause local version might be limited (usually it is, I'll know soon), so I might prefer to order from us.

That depends on which region you purchased the router from. Router's for different countries have different channel selections.

Yes, that's make sense, thanks. I'll see tomorrow what channel the local version offers, usually ordering from outside of state giving some channel that aren't available locally so I won't interfere with my neighbors (and it is legal to order from us).

@Hundra - Do you have ethernet or TV coaxial (for use with MoCa) between rooms at either end of the apartment? If not, can you run some Cat6 (perhaps inside some surface-mount discrete raceway?). If yes to either, I would suggest two lower-power hard-wired APs instead of a single all-in-one; ideally a centralized product like UniFi or Cisco CBW for optimal roaming and management. You'll get better coverage and closer, cleaner 5Ghz than most any all-in-one could provide. Also, by decoupling wifi to discrete APs, you'll free up your current router to just be a wired router (by disabling wifi on it). If the AX86U still under-performs in just that role, you can replace with just a wired router+switch, and at that point you'll have a proper network of discrete components that will function more like an appliance and less like a toy.

On the flip side, if you just wanted to keep it simple and stick with a consumer all-in-one, I would "go big or go home" and simply upgrade to an RT-AX88U running Merlin for stability, and call it a day.

Last edited:
Thanks trip. I've got it all, coaxial and ready to run ethernet cables (not sure how its called on English, but got empty tunnels with nylon wire to pull the cables). Only one thing, we might moving in a few months (to similar apartment) so trying to keep it into one device.

Tomorrow a friend of mine will receive the ax86u from the dealer in order to review it, he's got linksys wrt3200 to compare and symmetrical 1000/1000 fiber connection.
After ill see what he thinks I'll go for asus (88,86) or for ubiquiti.

OK, I've ordered AX88U yesterday but it was canceled (seems it wasn't a sale at newegg, just mispriced).
Any way, I'm happy with speed/range results - so I'll order the ax86u or the ax88u.

Can't upload pictures for some reason, my friend got 570/83 on 5ghz and 270/89 2.4ghz. These near the router, wifi 5 phone, and drop wasn't to bad away from the router.

Thanks for help all!

AX86U has external PA/LNA (power amp/low noise amp) chips for both 5Ghz and 2.4GHz wifi. AX82U,AX3000,TUF-AX3000 has external PA/LNA only for 5GHz (indentical to AX86U) but has no external PA/LNA for its 2.4GHz. So, if you care about 2.4GHz range, I believe the lowerest Asus AX router is AX86U. The AX88U also has external PA/LNA chips for 2.4GHz but doesn't have 2.5G LAN port.

Also AX56U has external PA/LNA for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz but it has only 2 streams for 2.4GHz, 2 streams for 5GHz as opposed to AX86U which has 3 streams for 2.4GHz, 4 streams for 5GHz and AX88U which has 4 streams for 2.4GHz, 4 streams for 5GHz.
20201025_213054.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, I'll stick with 86u/88u.
Just waiting to see the prices in the soon sales events.

BTW, in the meantime I managed to get 190/20 on 8 wires telephone cable, that's almost the cap of my isp connection.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!