What's new

Router won't assign the IP addresses I have reserved

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

howardg

New Around Here
This is my first post as a member and I am by no means a networking expert, so your patience would be appreciated. I just set up this router and it is working well. I added seven devices to the reserved IP address list using their mac addresses, including my NAS (A ReadyNAS Duo). I then shut all the devices down and restarted them. All the devices were assigned their reserved address except the NAS. I went ito the NAS control interface and clicked the button to "renew now" the IP address, and got a confirmation that the address was renewed. Nevertheless, when I check the router interface, it still has the same (non-reserved) address. What am I doing wrong?

This is my first post as a member and I am by no means a networking expert, so your patience would be appreciated. I just set up this router and it is working well. I added seven devices to the reserved IP address list using their mac addresses, including my NAS (A ReadyNAS Duo). I then shut all the devices down and restarted them. All the devices were assigned their reserved address except the NAS. I went ito the NAS control interface and clicked the button to "renew now" the IP address, and got a confirmation that the address was renewed. Nevertheless, when I check the router interface, it still has the same (non-reserved) address. What am I doing wrong?

Some NAS have more than just one network interface. Make sure you used the correct MAC address.

Also make sure you don't have any other device on your network running a DHCP server (such as an old router, or perhaps even the NAS itself, as some can run a DHCP server).

Make sure radio button is selected

Even after you enter and set up the MAC addresses for manual assignment you have to make sure you have the "Enable Manual Assignment" selected to the yes option. This got me for DHCP assignment as well as the one on the port forwarding tab.

I guess they did it that way so you can easily enable and disable manual assignment and keep you entries saved.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!