What's new

Routera as a bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jerzeedevil

New Around Here
Hi everyone!

Is there an advantage to using a router as a bridge since routers are beefier with memory and fast processors?

Most consumer WiFi routers cannot be configured as a bridge. (A few non-mainstream ones have that ability; or some can host 3rd party firmware replacements with bridge mode).

All WiFi routers can be configured to be an Access Point (AP).

A "game adapter" is a WiFi bridge.

I thought the WNR3500L could be configured as a wifi to ethernet adapter. If so does the RAM in the 3500L lead to smoother connections or does RAM not matter in a wifi to ethernet adapter?

Last edited:
Radio, antenna design and firmware have more effect on wireless performance than RAM and CPU

Do wifi/ethernet adapters contain RAM? Because the WNCE 2001 has to be reset every so often so I would think there is memory being cleared.

Last edited:
router as bridge = great idea

My main router is a RT-N56U. I purchased a refurbished WNDR3400 V1 for $37 and put DD-WRT on it. The WNDR3400 V1 is now a 5ghz wireless bridge. The ports are used for wired media. The 2.4GHz frequency is off but has been turned on as an AP and used with a different SSID just for grins. The only downside is as an AP, SMB can easily read through the RT-N56U network from the virtual network. I have read that it would have been more secure if I had configured the 2.4 GHz radio as a repeater, rather than as an AP. I'll look into it later.

I followed instructions I found on the internet. A site called CYBERPUNX has detailed instructions on how to replace the WNDR3400 V1 firmware with DD-WRT. The DD-WRT wiki and YouTube both offer instructions on how to create a client bridge. I made no adjustments on the RT-N56U. WPA2/AES is used on the bridge. Plus, the WNDR3400 V1 is also a fully powered backup router if ever needed.

It's pretty slick and not constrained by manufacturers who sell expensive bridges that have no other uses.

I've chosen and owned routers that never need a forced reboot. Out of perhaps 8 or so home WiFi routers, maybe one had such issues.

I avoid mass-marketed highly competitive ones - they're often rushed to market. Last 5 years or so, I avoid consumer mass market WiFi all together - in preference for ones that target machine to machine (M2M) uses, such as in point of sale and unattended ATMs and the like. These just have to run 24/7 or they don't sell.