What's new

Router's DNS does not notice changed IP address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vrapp

Workstation "laptop1" has 2 wireless adapters, and only one is enabled. It's connected to the router (AC68U, 384.17), with DHCP configuration, and leases IP address 192.168.1.19. nslookup laptop1 from the router correctly returns 192.168.1.19. I enable 2nd wireless adapter, which leases 192.168.1.55 from the router , and disable the 1st one. In router's UI / Network Map / View List I now correctly see laptop1 as 192.168.1.55. But nslookup laptop1 still returns 192.168.1.19, and other workstations can't browse the shares on laptop1.

Workstation "laptop1" has 2 wireless adapters, and only one is enabled. It's connected to the router (AC68U, 384.17), with DHCP configuration, and leases IP address 192.168.1.19. nslookup laptop1 from the router correctly returns 192.168.1.19. I enable 2nd wireless adapter, which leases 192.168.1.55 from the router , and disable the 1st one. In router's UI / Network Map / View List I now correctly see laptop1 as 192.168.1.55. But nslookup laptop1 still returns 192.168.1.19, and other workstations can't browse the shares on laptop1.
Open a command prompt and try ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew....then just ipconfig /all and check those settings to see if it is correct.

ipconfig /flushdns and restart the dhcp-client on the affected notebook.

Edit: quiksilver was quicker :D:D:D
More Roads lead to Rome ;)

I re-enabled the first adapter, ran ipconfig /release wifi1 , then ipconfig /renew wifi2 . Both ran successfully, the first adapter no longer had an address, but nslookup from the router still returns the first address.

I found the reason. There was DHCP reservation for the 1st adapter under "Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list"; once I removed it, router's dns returned new address. I wonder if this is correct behavior, given that the router did not actually assign the reserved IP address.

I found the reason. There was DHCP reservation for the 1st adapter under "Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list"; once I removed it, router's dns returned new address. I wonder if this is correct behavior, given that the router did not actually assign the reserved IP address.
Yes that's the correct behavior because you assigned the IP (static) to it manually.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!